May 12, 2017
Good morning, Sea Otter families! I am your computer operator this year, which means I will be updating you on meet results and other meet-related issues throughout the season. I am writing you now to the let you know that the first step in that process--committing the swimmers to the meets--is now ready for your input. PLEASE NOTE that when I originally started inputting the meets I was accidentally operating off the 2016 schedule (this should come as no suprise to anyone who has dealt with me in the past). I have corrected the error and am hopeful that all the meets on the site are now accurrate (hopeful, but not willing to swear to it). I think we are still missing one meet invite from another team, and will get that meet up as soon as we receive the information.
Below you will find probably more information than you ever wanted or needed to know about meet entries. I'm leaning on the side of being comprehenive in this note for our new families -- more seasoned summer swimmers can just disregard the information below and head straight to the website to commit to the meets!
- The first step to signing your swimmers up is to head to the Sea Otters site and click on the "Events" tab. You will see a listing of all of the meets we have scheduled this summer, including Time Trials (please note that Divisionals and All Stars meets are not yet posted and generally don't go up until the latter half of the season).
- Under each Meet entry are two buttons, one that says "Attend/Decline" and another that says "Job Signup." To commit your swimmer(s), click on the "Attend/Decline" button.
- This will take you to a screen that will list the names of all of your swimmers. Click on your swimmer's name.
- This will take you to a screen that lists all of the events
your swimmer is eligible to compete in for the meet. There are
three important steps that need to be completed on this
- First, there is a Declaration button that includes a drop down
menu indicating that yoru swimmer will attend, or will not attend
- If you are NOT attending, select that option, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the "Save Changes" button on the right hand side of the screen.
- If you ARE attending, select the option that indicates your swimmer will be competing.
- First, there is a Declaration button that includes a drop down menu indicating that yoru swimmer will attend, or will not attend the meet.
5. Once you have indicated you are attending, you can select your swimmer(s)'s events. For Time Trials, you can select up to all five events. For regular meets, you can select no more than three. Click on the box on the left hand side of the events to commit your swimmer.
- A quck note on Time Trials: In the past we have hedl these informally during a practice session; we'll let you know if we decide to go this route this year but for right now they are listed for the designated ODSL time trials date. Time Trials are just for our team, and they are run in order to get an accurrate seed time for your child in their events heading into the summer season. Because of this, swimmers can swim all four strokes and the IM during Time Trials. In normal meets, they can only swim three events. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT TIME TRIALS ARE NOT AN OFFICIAL DUAL MEET, AND THEREFORE THESE TIMES CANNOT COUNT TOWARD AN ALL STAR CUT. All Star cut times have to be achieved in an official ODSL dual meet.
6. Once you have committed your swimmer to the meet and selected up to three events for them to compete in, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Save Changes" button on the right hand side. THIS IS A CRITICAL STEP == YOUR SWIMMER WILL NOT BE COMMITTED TO THE MEET IF YOU NEGLECT TO CLICK THIS BUTTON!
- You can confirm your swimmer is committed by lookking at the "Attend/Decline" button on the Event home page. If the button is salmon colored and says "Edit Commitment" that means your swimmer has been successfully committed.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THIS PROCESS. The number one issue computer operators have every summer is parents failing to commit their swimmers by the deadline, and asking for them to be added at the last minute. This creates a ton of headaches both for us and for the other team. My inclination is to do everything possible to make sure that every child who wants to swim gets to swim, but that philosophy is not universally shared and there is only so much I can do to get your child entered at the last minute if you fail to commit them on time.
7. Repeat this process for each of your swimmers.
8.PLEASE click on the "Job Signup" button after you are committed to a meet and sign up to help us by volunteering for one of the jobs. Volunteers are critical to summer swim, and as a smaller team we generally need all hands on deck to make sure that the meet gets run. The coaches and I are happy to answer any questions you might have about what the various positions require and which are best for new parents.
There are different deadlines for each meet: as a general rule, I will need entries for Wednesday night meets by Sunday night, and entries for Saturday morning meets by Thursday night, although earlier is preferred. Meeting these deadlines ensures that the coaches have enough time to put together the relay teams together, and that the computer operators have enough time to pull together the meet sheet, seed it, and cooridinate it with the parents and representatives for the other teams to correct any mistakes. If you enter your child after the deadline, they will not be included in the meet sheet, so PLEASE do not do this. If you miss the deadline, let me know as soon as possible and I will do what I can to get your swimmer(s) entered.
I hope all of this is clear, but if not PLEASE feel free to email me at Vcw28@aol.com with any questions, or call me after 2 pm on 703.728.6712. I look forward to great summer season with all of you!