October 8, 2017
NJ Swimming overwhelmingly adopted a new policy regarding the use of tech suits at the fall House of Delegates meeting yesterday at Raritan Valley Community College.
The new rule bans the wearing of tech suits by any athlete 12 years old or younger during competitions. The athletes’ age is their age on the first day of any given competition. A tech(nical) suit is defined as “…a suit that has bonded seams, Kinetic tape, or meshed seams.”
The current list of suits banned for use by 12&Under swimmers at NJ Swimming sanctioned meets, subject to modification at any time, includes:
- BLUE SEVENTY, NERO
- JAKED (J12 WATER ZERO, LIMITED EDITION J11 STEEL, J11 WATER ZERO, JKATANA, JKEEL, JRUSH)
- SPEEDO (LZR X, LZR ELITE, LZR ELITE 2)
- TYR (TRACER SERIES, AVICTOR, AVICTOR PRELUDE, AP12)
- COMPRESSION NIKE SWIM NG
- ARENA (POWERSKIN OPEN BACK, ALL ARENA CARBON SERIES -AIR, PRO, ETC)
- DOLPHIN TITANIUM
- AQUASPHEREMP EXPRESSO
- FINIS VAPOR
- HUUB FINA TECHNICAL
The following fast suits are currently permitted for use by 12&Unders (classic hip cut or knee skin):
- SPEEDO (AQUABLADE, male & female- NJB Team suit); POWER PLUS, female; FASTSKIN 2/FSII, male & female; LZR PRO, male & female)
- ARENA (POWERSKIN ST, male & female; POWERSKIN)
- XP TYR (FUSION 2; THRESHER)
- DOLPHIN (GRAPHLITE SERIES; LTF PRO SERIES; PLATINUM 2PRO)
The use of tech suits by 13&Over swimmers is currently unregulated; they may be worn at any competition. NJB’s policy recommends the use of these suits only at Holiday Classic in December, all Championship meets at the end of the season, or as recommended by a swimmers’ coach.
This new policy goes into effect on November 1, 2017.