January 3, 2018
As the Championship season is creeping up, I think it's important to review new policy that was adopted by Maine Swimming LSC for this season. The new policy below is in regards to tech suits, and was created and adopted to re-plade emphasis on holistic swimmer development and progression of the swimmers within our LSC from age group swimmer to senior swimmer.
When reviewing, it is important to note that MANY LSCs in the country have moved toward policies such as this for the same purpose (you may have seen the special about this on CBS).
Thanks for taking the time to review!
2017-2018 MAINE SWIMMING TECH SUIT RESTRICTION POLICY Effective
September 1, 2017 - adapted from Southern California Swimming
1. Swimmers 10 years old and younger may not compete in a “Tech” suit in a Maine Swimming, Inc. sanctioned or approved competition, INCLUDING JOS, Bowdoin Open YMCA States and MSIII.
2. Swimmers age 11-12 may not compete in a “Tech” suit in a Maine Swimming, Inc sanctioned or approved competition EXCEPT for JOs, Bowdoin Open, YMCA States and MSIII.
3. There is no “Tech” suit restriction for swimmers age 13 & over.
4. A list of the restricted suits (see below) will be posted on the MSI website and given to Meet Directors, Meet Referees and Coaches. The restricted suit list will be revised as needed.
5. The following statements shall be added to all meet information for all meets except JOs, Bowdoin Open and MSIII after September 1, 2017. SWIMWEAR: Swimmers 12 years old and younger are not permitted to wear “Tech” suits at this meet. For JOs, Bowdoin Open, YMCA States and MSIII, the meet information shall read: SWIMWEAR: Swimmers 10 years old and younger are not permitted to wear “Tech” suits at this meet.
6. Meet officials, coaches, swimmers and parents are responsible for knowledge of the policy.