January 5, 2018
Interested in working as a Junior Assistant Coach with DC Wave this Summer?
What is the Mayor Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program?
The Mayor Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program (MBSYEP) is a locally funded initiative sponsored by the Department of Employment Services (DOES) that provides District youth ages 14 to 24 with enriching and constructive summer work experiences through subsidized placements in the private and government sectors. Through MBSYEP, we strive to provide young people with the opportunity to:
- Earn money and gain meaningful work experience
- Learn and develop the skills, attitudes, and commitment necessary to succeed in today’s world of work
- Gain exposure to various exciting career industries
- Interact with dynamic working professionals in a positive work environment
Though MBSYEP is a short-term employment and training program, our goal is to introduce our youth to employers who will positively impact their future. Employers in the Washington, DC metropolitan area make this annual program possible by volunteering to serve as Host Employers and providing structured job opportunities for youth during the summer.
When is MBSYEP?
MBSYEP will begin on Monday, June 25, 2018, and will end on Friday, August 4, 2018. (Tuesday, July 4th is an observed holiday and youth will not be paid for this day).
How do I apply for MBSYEP?
Applications must be completed online at our website www.summerjobs.dc.gov. Applicants must be DC residents.
The online application will be available beginning Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:00 pm. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and must be received by Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Space is limited, so youth are encouraged to apply early! In order to complete the application, you will need to provide your full Social Security Number, and you will need to have a valid email address.
What will I be doing?
As a Junior Coach, you will assist current DC Wave coaches with the following tasks:
- Organizing activities for swim practice
- Leading/explaining drills and sets during practice
- Organizing swimmers for relays, dryland exercises, and games
- Providing swimmers with feedback during practice and drylands
- Assist in creating sets for daily workouts
- Creating and promoting a positive and fun environment on the pool deck
What will my schedule be?
We understand that summer presents opportunities for many of our swimmers to work, train, and also take part in extracuricular activities and additional academic activities. Hours are flexible, and we are willing to work around schedule conflicts with Junior Coaches. The SYEP program begins June 25, and ends August 4. A typical work week for a Junior Coach is:
- Ages 14-15 Monday - Friday | 8:30 - 12:30 pm
- Ages 16-18 Monday- Friday | 8:30 - 1:30 pm
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS
- Youth and Parent Information Packet
- Parental Consent Form
- Online Orientation Document
- Eligibility Document Checklist (English)
- Eligibility Document Checklist (Spanish)