April 23, 2018
Ian Liu from the Condors Swim Club has been selected to attend the National Diversity Select Camp. The camp will take place from May 3rd through May 6th at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. USA Swimming invites 48 (24 women & 24 men) athletes from underrepresented populations to participate in a three-day camp which includes pool training, motivational and education sessions and team-building activities. The purpose of the camp is to instill a vision of success and inspire athletes from ethnically underrepresented populations to become leaders in the sport of swimming.
The goals of the camp are to empower athletes from ethnically underrepresented populations and their coaches to:
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming.
- Achieve performance excellence at every level of the sport.
- Expound the benefits and value of participating in the sport of swimming.
- Assist in recruiting more swimmers and coaches from diverse ethnicities to the sport of swimming.
- Be positive leaders and role models that others from multicultural backgrounds can emulate.
The camp is for swimmers ages 14-16 years old who have achieved at least one Diversity Select Camp time (AAAA National Motivational Time for 13-14 year olds). The athletes with the fastest time in each of the 13 Olympic events have automatically been selected. Additionally, three athletes of each sex were selected based on IMX scores, three athletes of each sex were selected based on outstanding performance in one or more events, and five athletes of each sex were chosen based on Outreach membership status.
Coach Jim will also attend the camp as Ian’s home personal coach. Ian is the second Condors Swimmer ever selected to attend the National Diversity Select Camp. We are proud of Ian’s accomplishment and hope that it inspires other Condors swimmers to qualify for this camp in the future!