May 7, 2018
WCSC Parents and Swimmers,
Greetings from the Walnut Creek Swim Club! Please read below for some important news items:
Top News Item: Wednesday, May 9th Back to Pool Night: New this year, to help both returning and new families, we are having a "Back to Pool Night" for parents which will answer all your questions about the swim season! "Back to Pool Night" will occur on Wednesday May 9th in the Oak View Room at the Walnut Creek Library at 6:30pm (should conclude by 7:30pm).
A Note From The Coaches:
Coaches focus this week - What is it like to swim a meet? Starts, Turns, whistles, and building personal confidence.
Other details for Sunday, May 13th Time Trials:
- Parents, if you know your swimmer is not attending Time Trials please be proactive and sign them out by selecting the Decline Button on the www.walnutcreekswimclub.org website. If you are new we will review the process at Back to Pool Night. Wednesday 5/9/18 at midnight is the last opportunity to sign out. Coaches will then choose up to three events for your swimmer. All swimmers will swim free.
- We will post a program for our intra squad time trial by Saturday evening. Called a meet sheet, it will be posted on our home page, click on the time trial meet and scroll down to documents. This will show the heat and lane for your swimmer. In addition there will be a document that will show which events each swimmer is in.
- Parents of Age 6 and Under Swimmers: 6 and Under Swimmers will be placed in Time Trials at the coaches discretion based on their ability to swim 25 yards. If they are unable to complete a lap at this time, once they are able we can add them into an upcoming meet. Our goal is to have them all in at least one meet by the end of the season. If you have any questions about the progress of your child please feel free to chat with us.
- Time Trials is a learning opportunity for swimmers we will move slowly and teach the process and have fun along the way!
Note from Director regarding May 13th Time Trials: As you may have noted Time Trails are scheduled for Sunday May 13th, which is also Mother's Day. Due to scheduling and logistics this was the only day that worked for Time Trials this year. I apologize in advance to all the WCSC mothers. Warm-ups are scheduled from 8-8:30am. The meet with start promptly at 8:30am and we hope to wrap it up by 11:00am. Time Trials will take place at Larkey Pool. Time Trials are not mandatory so if you have other plans that is ok, however please sign out of the meet by Wednesday May 9th by midnight. Maybe it is a good opportunity for the Dads to take the kids to the meet and the Moms can have a quiet relaxing morning. :)
- Jobs sign-ups for summer session (including Time Trials) will be released Wed night (5/9) after the "Back to Pool" meeting. All families participating in summer are required to fulfill 6-8 jobs.
- If you know someone who would like to work as a "sub" during the summer, please have them email Gita at firstname.lastname@example.org to placed on the sub list. Subs are paid $30/job.
- Age group coordinators fulfill 1-2 job requirements.
- We are actively recruiting new stroke and turn officials (see more below). Training available!
Volunteers Needed for Critical Swim Meet Positions:
- Desk: We're looking for someone interested in working on the desk at a meet. This involves getting times from the timing system, checking against watch times, and scoring events. If you're comfortable with computers and can multitask, then the desk is the job for you! It's a lot like mission control, just with kids launching off the blocks, and you get a front-row seat :-) Accurate 10-key, attention to detail, and a calm demeanor make you the perfect person for this critical position. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. This job will satisfy all family job requirements and training will be provided.
- Stroke & Turn & Starting: We are getting close to the start of the 2018 swim meet season. In order to ensure that our meets run smoothly, I’m asking for volunteers for both Stroke & Turn and Starting duties. This is a great opportunity to support the team by providing proper officiating, which will ultimately benefit our swimmers. Ideally, we need a team of 4-6 people who can commit to Stroke & Turn (S/T) and 1-2 people for starting and timing. This format will ensure that we have adequate coverage for all meets, while providing the best environment for fair competition. Please feel free to contact either Jon (email@example.com), Patrick (firstname.lastname@example.org), Gita (email@example.com), or Dustin if you are interested. Training will be provided for those people who need it.
Fundraising: You shop. Amazon gives. Support Walnut Creek Swim Club by starting your shopping at smile.amazon.com. Mother's Day is coming up on Sunday, May 13 and many of you are shopping for gifts for Mom. If you are shopping for gifts at Amazon, login at smile.amazon.com. Same products, same prices, same services.
May Calendar Highlights:
- Wednesday, May 9th: Back to Pool Night for Parents from 6:30pm to 7:30pm at WC Library
- Sunday, May 13th: Time Trials from 8am to 11am
See you at the pool!