May 8, 2018
Wahoo Age Grouper News
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
Wahoo Spring Qualifier-
- Meet Tips- Be sure to wear your Wahoo colors (Maroon Friday, Gold Saturday, and Maroon Sunday)! Seating will be on deck and on bleachers so no deck chairs needed. Maroon and Gold Group swimmers should get used to wearing sneakers at swim meets to keep their feet comfortable and race ready (our older team members don’t even bring a pair flip flops to Nationals!) They should also have shorts or sweats and a t-shirt to wear between races. I like to compare this to the players on the bench in the NBA staying warm and ready. Also send water and some snacks (snacks that won’t make a mess).
- Distance Events- some maroon groupers have to come inquiring about swimming the 400 free or 200 back/breast on Friday afternoon. These aren't events where I typically enter Maroon groupers but I like encouraging those wanting to step up to the challenge. If your swimmer wants to be added to these events please let me know today.
- Friday Afternoon- Check In 12:45pm, Warm Up 1:00pm, Meet 2:00pm. Session expected to be over approximately 3:30pm.
- Saturday and Sunday Afternoon- Check In 11:40am, Warm Up Noon, Meet 1:30pm. Sessions expected to end before 5pm.
- No practices Friday or Saturday due to the home meet.
Save the Date-
Bubble Down- Saturday, May 19. (Rain date- Sunday, May 20)
All hands on deck! It takes a good 60-75 volunteers to take care of the bubble every season. The bubble down process is a good bit quicker than bubble up process. Last year we were done in record time before 11:30am.
Memorial Day Parade- Monday, May 28th.
We won’t have practice on Memorial Day but we will have a traditional Wahoo Age Grouper gathering. Be on the lookout for the sign up for your swimmers to join the annual Wilton Memorial Day Parade.
Update from the Pool Deck-
Gold Group received their 2018 Long Course Season goal sheets last night after practice. I’ve asked for these to be returned next week, after we have the chance to swim this weekend. This year’s goal sheet is more detailed than in the past. I’ve asked swimmers to set goal times for events and also provided them the opportunity to work out the math of what it will take to reach those goals. I used Google Sheets for the goals and this link will provide access for those wanting to work on the assignment online. On the tab for the Math of Swimming I’ve entered the formulas and included a link to find current and past best times. I’ll put together a Maroon Group goal sheet in the near future.
We’re still using snorkels on most long course days. Most of our crew has their equipment every night which makes for a happy coach. A few though have “lost” their snorkels. For this crew- there are probably 50 snorkels in the bin at the north end of the pool and a dozen more in the bin at the south end. It’s likely they left their snorkel at practice and it was placed there by a coach. If your swimmer needs a snorkel or “lost” theirs, check the bin. If you take one home and toss it in the dishwasher it’ll be good as new. I also recommend the use of duct tape or paint to personalize the equipment.