May 8, 2018
CRAFT – Make Waves Weekly News - 3
What we need you to do this week:
Mondays at City Hall:
- This Monday (April 30) at CRAFT@makewaves.info. the Council-In Committee Meeting was cancelled. Next Monday (May 7) at , there’s a Council Meeting at City Hall. We should try to have a dozen people present wearing their Make Waves t-shirts. To give us a better idea of how many will represent us, please confirm your attendance by emailing
- Remember, we only need to be present at these meetings to remain visible to City Council. We are not there to say anything.
Keep Reaching out to Councillors, Mayor, GNB, Ministers…
- We need to continue to communicate our concerns/needs to all levels of government. If you sent an email or letter, follow up with a phone call. If you called, follow up with an email summarizing your conversation and maybe asking a few additional questions.
Make Waves Door-toDoor Blitz in Ward 3:
This weekend (May 5-6): We are going door-to-door with flyers in Ward 3. If you can spare a few hours, please sign up for the area(s) of Ward 3 that you would like to cover. Make Waves Door-to-Door Blitz. See Ward 3 map attached.
If you prefer to go door-to-door in other wards, contact CRAFT@makewaves.info to let us know which areas you will cover. We can provide you with a Ward map and the councillor’s contact information.
Let’s get the support from Ward 3 residents. Our message is simple.
1. CURRENT SITUATION: SMA is being decommissioned in September with no alternative solution.
2. RAMIFICATIONS: Youth aquatics clubs will shut down. Seniors will have nowhere to swim.
3. OUR ASK: The reason we are here to ask for your support to call or email your councillor and ask that the City get back to the table with UNB to work out an extension to SMA and a long-term solution to this problem.
4. CONTACT INFORMAITON: Have your councillor’s contact information ready to hand out. A document with the contact information for Bruce Grandy in Ward 3 is attached.
Contact CRAFT@makewaves.info if you have any questions or if you need flyers for this weekend.
Isabelle Scholten will be your point person this weekend should there be any questions/issues. Text or call: 260-9782
Other Upcoming Events
- David Coon’s
- at Fredericton’s Boys and Girls Club: Skyline Acres Community Gathering with Councillor Greg Ericson
- at Centre Communautaire Sainte-Anne: Downtown and College Hill Community Gathering with Deputy Mayor Kate Rogers
CRAFT (Capital Region Aquatic Facility Team) is a non-profit community group advocating for a new, all-ages aquatic facility in the greater Fredericton area. The group is comprised of representatives from different aquatic groups (FAST, Synchro, Diving, Masters, Silver Dolphins) and supported by the Life Saving Society.
The CRAFT - Make Waves campaign aims to implement ideas and strategies to extend the life of SMA and build a new pool. In order to better communicate with our members and the community, we launched a web page www.makewaves.info. You can sign up to receive regular updates of our Make Waves campaign. For now, we will also keep sending weekly updates to members until we have a substantial list that signed up on our web page. If you have any questions/comments you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.