May 14, 2018
I hope everyone had a great weekend! This week’s email contains some very important information. Please read through it and if you have any questions, please contact me.
Carson Swim Meet
The Carson Intermountain Swim Meet is quickly approaching. Online registration closes this Wednesday at midnight. RENO currently has 31 swimmers registered. Thank you to all who have registered. Click here for the online entry form.
High School Regional Wrap-Up
The Northern Nevada High School Regionals took place last Friday and Saturday in Carson City. RENO swimmers had some OUTSTANDING performances! There were 12 RENO swimmers representing their respective schools. Many of them qualified for State next week and/or posted best times.
RENO had 4 individual Regional champions and several were on winning relay teams. We also had 3 swimmers who were a part of the Reno High School girls team that won the team championship. Way to go!
The top-3 in each relay and individual events qualified for State. The State meet is this Saturday in Las Vegas.
Here is a quick recap of how each swimmer did this weekend:
- Julie Abrigonde (Galena) – 4th in the 500 and 4th in the 100 back (best time)
- Casey Brichetto (Galena) – Best times in the 200 free and 100 back
- Lydia Dyer (Reno) – 1st in the 200 medley relay, 5th in the 200 IM, 2nd in the 200 free relay, 6th in the 100 back
- Mallory Jennings (Reed) – 4th in the 50 free (best time). Mallory dislocated her knee 3 weeks prior to the meet, and she still swam a best time and helped Reed in two relays!
- Nathan McAlister (Reno) – 2nd in the 200 IM, 1st in the 100 fly, 1st in the 400 free relay
- David McLean (Manogue) – 2nd in the 200 medley relay, 2nd in the 200 free (best time and new Sectional time standard), 1st in the 200 free relay, 1st in the back (best time and new Sectional time standard)
- Haakon Minneto (McQueen) – Best time in the 500 free
- Ava Ryan (McQueen) – Best times in the 200 IM and 100 Fly
- Alexia Taylor-Arredondo (Spanish Springs) – 2nd in the 200 medley relay, 1st in the 50 free (best time and new Futures time standard), 2nd in the 100 free (best time), 1st in the 200 free relay
- Claire Trevithick (Reno) – 1st in the 200 medley relay, 1st in the 200 free, 3rd in the 100 free, 1st in the 400 relay
- Nicole Van Geel (Carson) – 3rd in the 50 free (best time), 7th in the 100 back, 2nd in the 400 free relay
- Maddie Wyse (Reno) – 16th place in the 100 free (best time)
Great job RENO swimmers and best of luck at State!
I have posted the tentative summer practice schedule on the team’s website. Click here to access the schedule.
This schedule will go into effect when Idlewild Pool opens. Idlewild is scheduled to open on Monday, June 11. Due to pool availability, each group will have a slight change from their current schedule.
This schedule will go through Friday, August 3. Our annual team break will start after the High Country Championships in Minden and the Western Zone Senior Championships in Clovis, CA. The break will be from August 6 – August 19.
RENO Walk-on Meet
Yesterday, RENO hosted a walk-on meet for high school swimmers at the University of Nevada. The purpose of this meet was to allow high school swimmers one more opportunity to compete in a swim meet before the season concludes. It also gave high school only swimmers an opportunity to experience a USA Swimming meet. Congratulations to the RENO swimmers who achieved best times yesterday!
A big thank you to our parent volunteers for helping with the meet yesterday, especially Damon McAlister (Meet Director) and Kendra Follett (Meet Referee). Also, thank you to UNR for the use of the facility.
Are you interested in becoming a swim official for USA Swimming? If so, there will be a clinic on Tuesday, May 22 at 5:30 PM in south Reno.
As a member of USA Swimming, we are required to provide officials for swim meets. Many of our current officials have a child/children on the team who will be graduating in the next few years. It is very important we have the next generation of officials stepping in. You do NOT have to have prior swimming experience. In fact, many USA Swimming officials had no history in swimming before they started officiating.
Thank you to all of our current officials. We greatly appreciate your work!
RENO Summer Program
Registration for our summer program is now open. This is a great opportunity for children to become more water safe and for those who may be interested in participating in competitive swimmer. Click here to register.
Here are the next meets RENO will be attending:
- Carson City Intermountain Long Course Meet – May 25 – 27 (all groups)
- Summer Sanders Invite – June 8 – 10 (qualified athletes only)
- RENO Gamble – June 22 – 24 (all groups)
RENO Apparel Store
The RENO apparel store is now open for business! You can order RENO shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and more. Orders will be shipped directly to you. The team will receive a portion of each sale. Please note: the average turnaround, with standard shipping, is roughly two weeks.
Thank you and have a great week!