June 17, 2018
WCSC Parents and Swimmers,
Please read below for some important news items:
Congratulations to this week’s TOP GUN Winners!
6 and U- Bailey Moylan
7-8 Scarlett Delcour
9-10 Mattias Radtke
11-12 Lily Sanchez
13-18 Coryell McDonough
This week’s Spirit Challenge age group winners: 9-10’s!! Way to GO!
Upcoming Invitational Meets and Entry Procedures:
- ALL CITY: Please sign your swimmer IN to All City and Select their events by this Thursday June 21st. Swimmers may select (3) individual events. 8 and under can choose up to (3) as long as they can swim the stroke legally. Coaches will assign all relays.
- Saturday and Sunday July 21st and 22nd Woodlands Invitational: (not the regular Woodlands dual meet): Please check your e-mail. We have sent e-mails to 31 swimmers that are qualified to swim Woodlands. Coaches will assign individual and relay events. Wednesday, June 27th is the deadline to sign in or out of this invitational.
- Friday evening and Saturday July 20th and July 21st Crossings Challenge Walnut Country Invitational Meet: All Swimmers (except Woodlands swimmers): Sign IN if you wish to attend, Sign OUT if you can’t participate at Crossings by Wed, June 27th. You many select your events (up to 3 total). This event is from 5:30pm to 9pm on Friday and 8:30am to 5pm on Saturday (warm ups at 5:15pm).
- Please note: WCSC pays individual swimmer fees for invitationals other than our own. Please be respectful of this gracious subsidy and if your swimmer is committed to attend that you make sure they are truly going to be in attendance.
MONDAY, JUNE 18TTH BIG BUDDY/LITTLE BUDDY SOCIAL FROM 6PM TO 8:30PM AT LARKEY PARK:
- Please see the special alert email sent on Friday June 15 for the Big Buddy/Little Buddy Social Pairings!
- The details: This is team event run by the WCSC Nightriders to build team camaraderie. The team is split in half by age and each younger swimmer is paired with an older swimmer for a picnic. The older swimmer brings a simple dinner of their buddy’s choosing. The younger swimmer brings dessert and drinks to share.
- Buddies should discuss and plan at practice on Monday, so be on the lookout for your big buddy and little buddy at tomorrow's practice!
- Any questions or concerns please email email@example.com.
UPCOMING MEET DETAILS:
Wednesday June 20 Home Meet v. Dewing Park. Warm-ups at 5:10, meet start at 6 pm. Please remember to let the coaches know if you are unable to attend the meet at the last minute. As a reminder, our team area is the west side of the pool, please leave the north side available for our guests.
Saturday June 23 Away Meet @ Forest Park. 1766 Mendocino Drive, Concord, CA 94521. Notes from Forrest Park:
- Doors Open: 7:30am - Visiting Team Warm-ups: 8:25am-8:55am
- Home and Visitor Camp areas (shared): Grassy area, concrete area behind pool buildings, under lanai.
- Snack Bar: The FPST Snack Bar is open on Saturday morning from 8:30am till the start of the back stroke races. On Saturday morning meets we sell continental breakfast items and BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs and tri-tip sandwiches for lunch. We also sell a wide variety of drinks, snack items and candy.
- Parking: Parking is available in lot next to the pool; you may also park on the street next to the pool in the neighborhood. Additionally, you may park in the Concord High Parking lot if the gates are open.
THE WCSC TPING TRADITION:
- To TP is to use toilet paper to decorate someone's trees/yard/house. Most young kids love when they get TP’d. The current crop of WCSC Nightriders appears to have the skills to be a formidable TPing crew and may visit your house after dusk and catch you unawares. However, tradition also allows the defending household the use of water balloons, hoses, and squirt guns if you are lucky enough to catch them. Be safe!
- What is the No TP List? - If you don’t want to be TP’d email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will advise the Nightriding crew for the year.
JUNE 26th GIANTS BASEBALL GAME:
- WCSC has a block of seats for the Tuesday, June 26th Giants game at 7:15pm vs. the Colorado Rockies.
- View Reserve tickets have been reserved for us at $28/each. We have 75 seats available. To guarantee your spots, reserve soon! If those sell out, we may have an opportunity for more seats, but that will be done via a wait list and is subject to availability.
- Tickets are now available on our Square Up team site and can be accessed by going to https://squareup.com/store/wcsc-walnut-creek-swim-club. This will be the only way to pay and confirm your seats. Once in the Square Up click on the Single Ticket $28 rectangle and it will lead you to the cart where you can change the quantity to add more seats. In the checkout section, for pick up date and time: Choose any date and time (it doesn’t matter what you will choose since tickets will be delivered at practice and/or a meet a few days before the game.)
- For questions please email Cherie Gann at email@example.com. Go Giants!
Other Fundraising Updates:
- Tuesday July 10th Swim A Thon: Save the date...Swim A Thon is coming Occurs during practice. We will start collecting donations and pledges soon. Don't forget WCSC is eligible for corporate matching. Details coming! Go WCSC.
- Tuesday, July 17th Private Movie Screening of Hotel Transylvania: Details on how to buy tickets will be in next week’s newsletter.
- We are still accepting Team Sponsors: contact Cherie Gann for information.
- Interested in flocking your friends, rivals, potential WCSC swimmers? Contact Cherie Gann at firstname.lastname@example.org
JULY 7TH AND 8TH ALL CITY MEET IN THREE WEEKS!
- The Annual All City Meet is coming up quickly. Hosting this event is a massive undertaking. The team requires every family to contribute eight hours of work during the meet AND participate in either setup or takedown. Many families contribute far more.
- All City raises about $30,000 for our team which effectively reduces each swimmer's summer registration fees by over $250. All City is also an awesome community event – a one-of-a-kind meet with two flights where all swimmers have a shot at contributing to the success of their teams. The nine other Walnut Creek rec teams pay entry and splash fees to participate. They are our guests and customers. We earn their attendance by providing a well-run event. So let's make this another great Walnut Creek All City Meet!
- Sign-ups for your All City Meet Jobs will be available on Wednesday, July 20th after our meet. Be ready to try something new, work hard, laugh and feel great about the meet. Put your awesome talents to great use! Jobs will be available in the Events section of the website homepage. Please sign-up for two 4-hour shifts or one 8-hour shift AND either Friday Set-up or Sunday Take-down.
- Submit Ads for the All City Meet Program by Thursday, June 21st. Please ask friends, family, and business owners to advertise in our program! Rates are from $35 for 1/8 page to $220 for a full page ad. The ad info is on our website under the All City menu (exact link is https://www.teamunify.com/recwcscwcsc/UserFiles/File/All%20City%20Ads%20Flyer(1).pdf ) and also on our Facebook page. If EVERY family gets one ad, we will be in great fundraising shape!!!
- Submit Shout Outs for the All City Meet Program by Saturday, June 23rd. Please fill the pages with words of encouragement for your swimmer! Our kids love scouring the pages of the program and finding their shout out. Flyer on more info about shout outs is here: https://www.teamunify.com/recwcscwcsc/__doc__/All%20City%20Shout%20Out%20Flyer.pdf
JULY 13 – 15 WCSC ANNUAL CAMPING TO CAMP RICHARDSON:
- SAVE the date: July 13 - July 15 (drive up on Friday, drive back on Sunday)
- We currently have hotel rooms, single camping sites, double sites, and two RV sites. Please contact email@example.com as soon as possible if you are interested in the RV sites.
- Signups for the hotel and camping sites as well as more info on costs coming soon!
- Thanks! Shellie Leavitt and Toni Hatamiya
AGE GROUP COORDINATORS – STILL IN NEED OF AGE 11-12 SOCIAL COORDINATOR:
Thank you for all of the parents who volunteered to be the age group coordinators! We are still in need of coordinator for the age 11-12 social coordinator. The coordinator plans one event for the age 11-12. Last year the group went to Skyhigh although that can be adjusted if needed. We have this tentatively planned for Thursday June 28th but we will change this as needed – we can’t have this event without a coordinator, so adjustments can be made! Being an age-group coordinator takes the place of 2 jobs, and there is a small budget for the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- A very special "thank you" to all the amazing WCSC families that filled in last minute at the LMYA meet as timers. My apologies for not realizing it was a 10-lane pool!
- July 7th and 8th All City job sign ups will be released on Wed June 20th after the meet! Many veteran families have "aged out" since last season and we are in need of ‘heads’ of several key areas, please let me know if you can be the “head” of a specific area. Let me know if you are interested in being the head of any area (parking, clerk of the course, hospitality, sound, etc.). Every family is required to work 2 4-hour shifts during the weekend, plus set up or takedown. If you know you will be unable to work or attend the meet, please find a substitute worker for the meet. We need bodies to fill all the required jobs to run this amazing meet successfully. If you have opted to "buy out" of jobs this season, you are still required to work at the All City meet. Please contact Gita if you have any questions.
- There area few open job slots at some of the upcoming dual meets. If you have not signed up for any jobs, yet, please do so today. Every family is required to work 6 dual meet jobs. If this is your 1st year on WCSC, please contact Gita for more information on jobs you can do to help the team!
- Please notify Gita if you are volunteering as an Age Group Coordinator.
Calendar Highlights: (note: calendar section on website has all of the latest updates)
- Mon, June 18th Big Buddy, Little Buddy Social at 6pm at Larkey Park
- Wed, June 20th evening home meet against Dewing Park
- Sat, June 23rd morning away meet against Forest Park
- Tues, June 26th Giants game (need to reserve and pay in advance, see above for more!)
- Wed, June 27th team photos at 8am to 9am
- Wed, June 27th evening away meet at RMST
- Thurs, June 28th age11-12 social, time TBD (Still looking for a parent coordinator, see above for more, might need to be rescheduled)
- Reminder – no practice on July 4th – happy 4th of July!
- Sat & Sun, July 7tth and 8th – All City Meet (run by WCSC!)
- Wed, July 11tth away meet against IVST
- Thursday, July 12 age 9-10 Bowling Social, time TBD
- Fri night to Sun morning July 13-15 Tahoe Camping Trip (need to reserve and pay in advance, more details coming soon)
- Wed July 18th away meet at Woodlands (this is the standard dual meet)
- Thurs, July 19 age 7-8 Night Hike social, time TBD
- Invitationals: Swimmers will either be in Fri evening & Sat Walnut Country July 20 and 21st or the Sat Sunday July 21 and July 22nd Woodlands Invitational (see more details above)
- Wed, July 25th away meet at WHO
- Sat, July 28th HOME meet against Larkey Sharks
- Sun, July 29th age 13-14 & 15-18 Rafting trip social
- Sat & Sun August 4 and 5 Conference Meet
- Sun, August 5th 6pm to 9pm After Conference Party
- Sat & Sun Aug 11th and 12th County Meet (if swimmer has qualified for county)
- Sat, Aug 25th Awards night, time TBD
See you at the pool!