June 30, 2018
WCSC Parents and Swimmers,
Please read below for some important news items:
News From Coach Devon:
Unfortunately, Coach Devon was a bumsy clugger and broke her toe just walking around her house on a piece of furniture. Fortunately for you this is a really lame reason why, and she wants you to help her have a better story of how she broke her toe. Coach Devon has a few prizes she wants to giveaway to those who create the most original, most elaborate, and best laugh out loud while rolling on the floor stories. Please submit your stories, cartoon, or drawing by e-mailing Devon or turning in by July 3 end of practice on Tuesday.
Also 6&under swimmers save the date for July 10 6pm the Knight family is hosting a 6&under movie night in their home. More details here on the calendar https://www.teamunify.com/Calendar.jsp?team=recwcscwcsc&type=m&y=2018&m=7
UPCOMING MEET/PRACTICE DETAILS:
- Regular practice times on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
- No Meet, and no Practice for all ages, on Wed, July 4th. Happy 4th of July!
- See you at All City July 7th and 8th, more below on All City!
- ALL CITY MEET- We are still in need of helpers for Marshall, clerk of the course, and parking Marshall. Please sign up for 2 four-hour shifts on Sat/Sun. ALL families need to provide a sub to work one of their shift s during the meet if they cannot be there. Neighbors, babysitters, grandparents, friends, and older siblings are all eligible to be a sub! Sign ups are closed so contact Gita for any changes/updates.
- CROSSINGS & WOODLANDS INVITATIONAL MEET- job sign ups available Sunday. If your child is participating in either of these meets, you are responsible for working one shift.
ALL CITY Meet Saturday & Sunday July 7th & 8th!
- Snack Bar needs our help! Please sign up to
bring fruit or baked goods for the All Star Cafe at All City https://www.signupgenius.com/g
- Generators: We are in need of two generators, if you have one to loan, please contact Jeff (cell: 415-850-0213)
- Set Up Info 5pm Friday July 6th:
- Wear team apparel for Setup: It will help us to manage the entry of other teams into the pool area if all WCSC parent setup’ers are wearing WCSC garb. Again, check-in at 5pm with Gita Patel at the side gate nearest the snack shack. You may then setup your shade in our team area (see more info below) and then get to work to helping set up the other parts of the meet. Other teams may enter at the far end of the pool after 6pm to setup their shade.
- Shading Info: While space is limited and you may want the prime real estate for your family, we are a team and should work together to accommodate every WCSCer (Reminder to share your shade with another family if room, accommodate for walking paths around the perimeter of your shade & offer families with infants and toddlers space at the edge of the lawn)
- Warm-ups – 8:10-8:30am both days: Please have your swimmers at the team area and ready to jump in the pool by 8:05am! This is the last time slot for warm ups, the first teams will be in the water at 7:30am.
- Participate in a Parent Relay: If you are interested in swimming on a parent relay on Sunday (we can have several men and women relay teams), notify Jeff and Jenny Budke, our Meet Directors, on Saturday of the meet. You don’t have to be fast, just entertaining. And your kids will love you for participating!
- All City Order of Events: Saturday: I.M. (11-18yrs), Free, Fly, Medley Relay. Sunday: I.M. (7-10yrs), Backstroke, Breaststroke, Free Relay, All-Ages Relay, Parent Relay.
- Post City Celebration: After clean up on Sunday, please come with the family to swap meet stories, eat some pizza and relax! Pinky's Pizza in Walnut Creek has the back patio reserved for WCSC. We'll head over after meet clean up. Call in your order as you leave Heather Farms.
IN NEED OF AGE 9-10 SOCIAL COORDINATOR: We are in need of coordinator for the age 9-10 social coordinator. There is a small budget for the event. Please email email@example.com if you are interested.
July 13-15 Camping Trip:
- Our annual WCSC camping trip is at Camp Richardson at Lake Tahoe from July 13 - July 15 (drive up on Friday, drive back on Sunday)
- There continues to be a waitlist started and Shellie & Toni will be working to have families share campsites where possible to help get families off the waitlist. If you have a campsite and are willing to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Also, for those signed up for the camping trip, please (1) doublecheck to make sure you also have your Saturday dinner BBQ choices in the system corrected and (2) make checks out to Walnut Creek Swim Club and find Shellie Leavitt or Toni Hatamiya at practice to hand the checks to. Payments are due by Sunday July 8th, otherwise you could lose your spot. The earlier we get payment the better! The link to learn more on how much you owe and make sure you are signed up for the BBQ is here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a44afaf28a5f58-2017
- Please make checks payable to WCSC. If you cannot locate us, please put the checks in Shellie Leavitt's folder. Thank you!
Swim A Thon: Tuesday, July 10th: Hi swimmers! On July 10th the Night Riders will be running the annual Walnut Creek Swim Club swim-a-thon. It will run during your normal practice times and we will be providing donuts after practice. We are asking for your help to fundraise for refreshed technology to support the team (pace clock etc), a new starting system for swim meets, and work towards a new score/display board. Our goal for fundraising is $4000 dollars and we are asking for at least $40 dollars per swimmer. The Night Riders are so excited to see you all there! WCSC is eligible for corporate matching, please email email@example.com to set this up. You can send emails and post on social media by logging into your Team Unify account and clicking on the green PLEASE HELP tab at the top right of the webpage. That will lead you to your swimmer(s) personal page. Happy fundraising and Go WCSC!
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - Private Screening Tuesday, July 17th: WCSC is going to the movies for a great cause! Come see Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation in downtown’s Walnut Creek theater which has been reserved ONLY for WCSC members, their friends and family. Each ticket is $12 ($6 admission and $6 donation). Donation is being made to Unified Sports which is part of Special Olympics. There are local Special Olympic swim teams that some of our community members swim for…one team actually practices at the Soda Aquatic Center. That particular team includes athletes from the Lamorinda and Walnut Creek areas. Theater opens at 5pm, movie starts at 5:30pm. Tickets will be distributed at practice a few days before the movie. Buy your tickets in our SquareUp Store https://squareup.com/store/wcsc-walnut-creek-swim-club For questions please email Cherie Gann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get some WCSCSwag: Go to https://squareup.com/store/wcsc-walnut-creek-swim-club or find me at the pool! License Plate Frame $25, Reusable WCSC bag $4, Removable vinyl sticker $5.
Got Flamingos??? WCSC does!!! WCSC is flocking the town with red and blue flamingos and it's going to be awesome! For $25 per flock (10ish flamingos) your family will setup the flamingos, a WCSC sign, and a personal note from you late at night to your unsuspecting family, friends, and neighbors, team rivals,grads, birthdays, future WCSC swimmers. They will love waking up to a yard full of flamingos. Remove the flock two days later. So start making a list of who you want to flock! Family, friends, neighbors, rival teams, and potential WCSC swimmers are just some of the possibilities. Here's how it works: (1) Contact me to get your flock and date! (2) Cost is $25 - checks made out to WCSC or buy in the SquareUp store. (3) Cherie will email you the forms. (4) Wait for a reaction from those you flocked!
Contact Cherie Gann at email@example.com with questions or for more information.
11-12 Social Update: The age 11-12 social has been moved to July 23rd. Expect a direct communication to your email from the coordinator shortly regarding the details early this week.
Calendar Highlights: (note: calendar section on website has all of the latest updates)
- Date & time TBD (maybe Thurs, June 28th or Friday June 29th), age11-12 social (our social coordinators are working to finalize the date with the City of Berkeley to go to Berkeley’s Adventure Playground, more info will come directly to the 11-12 families. Thank you Christy Schuchmann for volunteering last week to be 11-12 social coordinator!).
- Reminder – no practice on July 4th – happy 4th of July!
- Sat & Sun, July 7tth and 8th – All City Meet (run by WCSC!)
- Tuesday, July 10th Swim-A-Thon at morning practice
- Tuesday, July 10th 6&under Movie at 6pm at the Knights (see more above)
- Wed, July 11tth away meet against IVST
- Thursday, July 12 age 9-10 Bowling Social, time TBD (also looking for a coordinator, please see above!, date might be rescheduled)
- Fri night to Sun morning July 13-15 Tahoe Camping Trip (need to reserve and pay in advance, see more above)
- Tues, July 17th Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - Private Screening (sign up link above)
- Wed, July 18th away meet at Woodlands (this is the standard dual meet)
- Thurs, July 19 age 7-8 Night Hike social, time TBD
- Invitationals: Swimmers will either be in Fri evening & Sat Walnut Country July 20 and 21st or the Sat Sunday July 21 and July 22nd Woodlands Invitational (see more details above)
- Monday, July 23rd 11-12 Social (new date)
- Wed, July 25th away meet at WHO
- Sat, July 28th HOME meet against Larkey Sharks
- Sun, July 29th age 13-14 & 15-18 Rafting trip social
- Sat & Sun August 4 and 5 Conference Meet
- Sun, August 5th 6pm to 9pm After Conference Party
- Sat & Sun Aug 11th and 12th County Meet (if swimmer has qualified for county)
- Sat, Aug 25th Awards night, time TBD
See you at the pool!