July 10, 2018
With Age Group State Championships coming up next weekend, we have decided to focus on the Age Group Committee this week.
Age Group Committee
Committee Chair: Lucas Ferreira (GA), email@example.com
The Age Group Vice Chair has general charge of the affairs and property of the Age Group Committee that develops and conducts the age group swimming program of Georgia Swimming (Georgia Swimming Bylaws, 606.6.6). The Age Group Chair also serves on the Technical Planning Committee, and specifically seeks and provides input regarding meets for 14 and under swimmers - Age Group championship meets, as well as other necessary meets for age group swimmers.
The members of the Age Group Committee include the Age Group Coach Representative, who serves as the Chair of the committee, a sufficient number of athletes so as to constitute at least twenty percent (20%) of the voting membership of the Committee and at least six (6) additional members of whom at least fifty percent (50%) are be Coach Members. The Athlete Members and the additional members are to be appointed by the General Chair with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors. (Georgia Swimming Bylaws, 607.1.2)
Specific responsibilities of the Age Group Committee Chair and the committee include:
- Oversee and manage the Age Group Committee that develops and conducts the age group swimming program of Georgia Swimming, including but not limited to State Championship meets and time standards.
- Select a committee (including 20% athlete participation and 1 official), with Board of Directors approval.
- Receive safety recommendations from the Operational Risk Chair.
- Work with potential meet hosts regarding the meet information and meet referees for GA Swimming Age Group Championship Meets. Work off of established information format and make changes as deemed necessary by the committee.
- Responsible for the organization and coordination of the Age
Group Zone Team, along with the Zone Team Manager. Responsibilities
include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Age Group Committee, Zone Team Manager, and the LSC Treasurer to budget the Age Group Zone Team Trip for Athletes and Coaches.
- Assist in the selection of the Zone Team Head Coach, the assistant coaching staff, and the selection of athletes and their events. In the event of the lack of a Zone Team Manager, the Age Group Chair is responsible for making all of the arrangements (e.g. reservations, travel, food, lodging, swimwear, etc.) for the Zone Team.
- Serve as a delegate (or recommend replacement) for GA Swimming at the USAS Convention and attend and provide reports on any and all meetings involving Age Group swimming within two weeks of return.