July 16, 2018
After a year of having to look up to see the top of the Division I standings, the Willowick Wildkats are again the team the rest of the division is looking up at.
With their 285-206 over Highland Heights, the Wildkats clinched their fourth Division I title in the past five years. Having already beaten Chardon, Willowick holds the tie-breaker against the Sharks meaning it was able to celebrate it's title one week before the end of the dual meet season.
The meet started off as if it was going to be a blow-out with Willowick winning six of the eight medley relays, but the Hurricanes quickly closed the gap winning three of the four 200 freestyles - including scoring double points in all three of those races.
The Wildkats methodically put distance between them and the Hurricanes over the next groups of races - the IM and the 25/50 freestyles. From there they were just able to put more distance in the meet before winning again, six of the eight relays - the free relays this time.
The Wildkats were led by nine swimmers who won both of their individual events:
- Colton Cutwright - 8&U - 25 butterfly, 50 freestyle
- Nathaniel Peters - 8&U - 25 freestyle, 25 breaststroke
- Caleb Ortman - 9-10 - 100 IM, 100 freestyle
- Tino Perkovic - 9-10 - 50 butterfly, 50 backstroke
- Savannah Hirsch - 11-12 - 50 freestyle, 50 breaststroke
- Holly Suponcic - 11-12 - 100 IM, 50 butterfly
- Carson Petrecca - 11-12 - 100 IM, 50 backstroke
- Megan Snyder - 13-15 - 200 freestyle, 50 freestyle
- Andrew Ingram - 13-15 - 200 IM, 100 backstroke
Willowick will close out their dual-meet season with a home meet against South Euclid-Lyndhurst on Saturday, July 21. It will be the last home meet for its 10 15-year-olds.
Final Score: Willowick 285, Highland Heights 206
8&U Girls: Highland Heights
31, Willowick 22
8&U Boys: Willowick 38, Highland Heights 12
9-10 Girls: Highland Heights 39, Willowick 21
9-10 Boys: Willowick 46, Highland Heights 14
11-12 Girls: Willowick 38, Highland Heights 29
11-12 Boys: Willowick 37, Highland Heights 30
13-15 Girls: Willowick 43, Highland Heights 24
13-15 Boys: Willowick 40, Highland Heights 27