July 20, 2018
Dear GMA Families,
Thomas D. is off to a GREAT start at the New England 11-14 Championship Meet at Harvard University. He has had two races and achieved two personal best times and a new Zone Championship Meet cut time. Thomas has shown excellent focus all season long with consistent training attendance and effort. He has prepared like a champion all season long and he is READY to ROCK at Harvard!
Our athletes have set the following TEAM GOALS for long course championships:
- GMA athletes will achieve personal best times in every event at the meet.
- GMA athletes race their best in finals.
- GMA athletes will achieve at least one next level cut time.
CLICK HERE to the main meet information page
CLICK HERE for the GMA meet entries
Blodgett Pool at Harvard University
65 North Harvard Street, Boston MA 02163
- The meet will be conducted in a trials/finals format, with one Consolation heat (B final) and one Championship heat (A final) in each age group (11-12 and 13-14) for individual events 200 meters and shorter. The 400 IM and the 400 Free will be swum as timed finals for 11/12, but as prelim/finals for 13/14 with two heats in finals.
- The preliminary event
format will be swum in the following order (13/14 A flights will be
- 13/14 A Flight: Fastest 2 heats of girls followed by the fastest 2 heats of boys
- 11/12 A Flight: Fastest heat of girls followed by fastest heat of boys
- 13/14 B Flight: Remaining heats fastest to slowest alternating girls/boys
- 11/12 B Flight: Remaining heats fastest to slowest alternating girls/boys
- The 800 and 1500 Free
will compete entirely in the prelim distance session. Both events
will be swum in the following order:
- Fastest heat of 13/14 Girls
- Fastest heat of 13/14 Boys
- Fastest heat of 11/12 Girls
- Fastest heat of 11/12 Boys
- Remaining heats will swim combined, 11-14, alternating girl/boy, fastest to slowest.
- The pool will be available for a 10 minute warm-up before the 800/1500 free, as well as before the relay events.
- The top heat of each individual event in finals will be announced behind the blocks and the B final will be announced in the water.
- DISTANCE EVENTS (400
meters and above):
- For all distance events (400 and over), the slowest heat of girls and boys may be combined.
- All 800 and 1500 freestyle events and the B flights of the 400 Free and 400 IM must provide their own timers
Team Scratch Policy
All GMA team members are expected to race in every event in which they are entered. Swimmers who have problems or concerns about their events must talk to a coach 24 hours in advance of the race in question to determine if an event scratch is necessary. Any swimmers who choose not to attend the meet must let Laura know at least 24 hours in advance of the meet. This is a CHAMPIONSHIP MEET and we need every athlete to put in their best effort, in every event for the team.
The scratch deadline shall be 6:30 pm the evening before prelims.
SPECIAL SCRATCH NOTES:
1. Coaches and swimmers are expected to understand the scratch, verification and relay rules before the meet begins.
2. Any swimmer who fails to compete in an individual event heat in which he/she is entered and has not been scratched will be barred from further competition for that day, including relays and time trials. The swimmer will be also automatically scratched from his/her remaining events unless the Clerk of Course has been notified of the swimmers intention to compete by 6:30 PM.
NOTE: Finals are considered continuation of events starting with trials.
3. Any swimmer who competes in an preliminary heat and qualifies for Finals and fails to notify the clerk of course of his/her intention to withdraw from finals within 30 minutes of the posting of the results and qualifiers for that event, and does not compete nor is excused by the Meet Referee, will be barred from all subsequent competition in the meet, including relays and time trials.
4. On Sunday, any team whose swimmer competes in an individual heat and qualifies for Finals and fails to notify the Clerk of Course of his/her intention to withdraw from the finals within 30 minutes of the posting of the results and qualifiers for that event, and does not compete nor is excused by the Meet Referee, will be fined $100. The Meet Referee may waive the fine, if based on his judgment, the swimmer was ill or the reason for missing the final was beyond the control of the swimmer.
Time trials will be available if time allows at the discretion of the Meet Referee and Meet Director. All time trial swimmers must provide two timers for their swims. Time trials are $10 for individual events and $25 for relays. Swimmers may sign-up for time trials at the Admin Table.
Program and Admission
$2.00 meet program per session, $ 5.00 admission
Laura’s cell phone 802-238-9168
GMA ARRIVAL TIMES:
PLEASE PLAN AHEAD TO ARRIVE AT THE POOL EARLY. Traveling in Boston can take extra time due to traffic and road congestion. Parking near the pool can be challenging.
PLEASE PLAN TO STAY UNTIL THE END OF EACH SESSION, EVEN ON SUNDAY. Please plan ahead for meals and sleep between and after sessions so that the athletes can maximize their recovery time.
GMA ATHLETES ARE EXPECTED TO:
- Arrive on time
- Warm-up and warm-down properly at every session (regardless of session participation) and for every event (including relays.)
- Eat nutritious foods throughout the weekend.
- Pack and prepare nutritious foods for before, during and after meet.
- Be leaders of team spirit and support staying engaged with the team at all times.
- Get proper rest at night as well as between trials and finals
- Race your BEST in every prelim, final and relay event.
- ACT LIKE CHAMPIONS and RACE LIKE CHAMPIONS!
GMA PARENTS, YOUR ATHLETES WILL NEED YOUR HELP
- Plan to arrive on time - plan ahead for crazy Boston city traffic
- Understand that your athletes must warm-down after each session.
- Help with meal planning, prep and packing. Eliminate eating out at restaurants as much as possible for health and for time management.
- Help with sleeping by maintaining a quiet and calm hotel environment. Your athlete may need your help and encouragement to nap and to go to bed in a timely manner at night. Your athlete will need space to rest each day between trials and finals, even on Sunday. Please plan accordingly.
- Please arrive on time and stay for your assigned meet job.
- Please contact Laura Matuszak (802-238-9168) with any questions or concerns.
- Have FUN and cheer for GMA! This is the FUN part!!!!
GMA Team End-of-Season Meet Guidelines
The GMA coaches provide the following guidelines for swimmers and parents going to a New England End-of-Season meet:
1. Plan ahead to attend the End-of-Season Meets for which you have qualified. Please fulfill your team obligation. If your plans have changed and you are unable to attend, please notify Laura as soon as possible.
2. Swimmers are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to the assigned team warm-up session . Team stretching and announcements are a very important aspect of championship meet success.
3. These meets can be long and tiring. Plan your daily schedule to ensure that you get the proper amount of food and rest. This is best achieved with good transportation plans and many comfort items packed.
4. The emphasis at swim meets is always on achieving your personal best times, being a great sport and showing excellent team spirit. Winning heats and medals can be fun, but is never part of our team goals.
5. Please provide your child with unconditional love. Your swimmers need your unconditional support in order to race confidently. If they feel that you are judging or critiquing their performances, they may race with less confidence and security.
6. Please do not offer your swimmers ideas on how to race better. Please refer such technical questions to the coaches so as not to confuse the swimmers. Swimmers are required to speak to their coaches just prior to and immediately after their races in order to plan and evaluate their performances.
7. Please pack the following for your swimmers:
2 GMA caps
2 pairs of goggles
GMA team suit
GMA team apparel
At least 3 towels
Nutritious food and drinks only (meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit are nutritious foods)
8. Swimmers are responsible for the following:
Knowing their events
Knowing their personal best times
Knowing their goals for each event
Talking to a coach before and after every race
Checking themselves in for any positive check-in events
Talking to the coach about any scratches
Getting to their heats and lanes by themselves
Cheering for their teammates during the ENTIRE session (do not leave until the session is over and our team area is fully cleaned)
Demonstrating great sportsmanship and team spirit
Resting/ sleeping in bed at least one hour in between prelims and finals sessions
Warming up properly before each event, warming down properly after each event and maintaining any prescribed physical therapy routine.
9. Rest, eat healthy food and drink plenty of water. When you are not swimming, you are to be fueling your body and sleeping. All swimmers competing in a prelims and finals meet are REQUIRED to sleep in between prelims and finals. It is recommended that you rest even if you are not swimming in finals at night. Please do not plan family activities and adventures. In order to race their best, the swimmers need to rest whenever they are not competing.
10. GMA swimmers MUST warm-up and warm-down before and after every event. Please talk to your coach about specific recommendations. If no pool is available, please use the team warm-up and warm-down cards to properly warm-up or warm-down your body.
11. If you are unable to attend any portion of the meet, please contact Laura on her cell phone (802-238-9168) immediately. Your teammates are counting on you for relays and team spirit. Please remember to STAY UNTIL THE END OF THE SESSION to cheer for all of your teammates, even if you are done swimming. All 13 and older swimmers are REQUIRED to warm-up at EVERY session with the team (even when not swimming in the session). All 13 and older swimmers are REQUIRED to attend the finals sessions (even when not swimming in an event) to watch and cheer on their teammates.
12. All swimmers who have a regular physical therapy routine are expected to continue this routine on schedule while at the meet.
13. Please WEAR YOUR GMA ATTIRE and represent your team with pride, respect and spirit!
14. Please HAVE A BLAST!! You have earned a GREAT MEET!! LET’S GO GMA!!
Laura Matuszak, GMA Head Coach