August 3, 2018
Your WHAT swimmers Stefan Stratimirovic (15), Luka Stratimirovic (17), Noah Jamison (17) & Patrick Lersch (21) are competing at the Eastern Zone Long Course Senior Championship in Buffalo, New York. We have swimmers in each of the four days of competition, plus three relays. The team arrived prepared to swim fast!
Day 1, Thursday, August 2
Prelims: the boys started the meet strong with personal best times in preliminaries for Stefan, Patrick, Noah & Luka.
- Stefan kicked off the morning prelim session with a PB 57.62 in his 100 FR.
- Patrick followed with a PB 53.23 in his 100 FR, finishing second in prelims.
- Stefan was up again in 100 BR finishing with a PB 1:15.15.
- All four were up for the 200 FR relay with the boys finishing in 1:41.48, breaking the team record by 1.88 seconds and finishing first in their heat.
- Luka lead off the relay with a PB 26.02 and the other three boys all posted PB splits!
- Luka followed up his relay swim with a Time Trial in the 100 FL, posting a PB 1:06.24.
- Noah was to be outdone by the others though. He posted a PB 17:15.88 in the 1500 FR dropping 40 seconds on the season and 30 seconds from his previous best!
Finals: are always exciting at any meet, and Patrick did his best to add to the tone with his 2nd place finish in the 100 FR posting a PB 53.01. Though our relay swam in the morning, the top sixteen relays swam at finals (a timed final event). The boys performance in the morning was strong enough to put them 11th when all relays had completed (we were seeded 17th coming into the meet)!
We finished the day in 13th place out of 28 teams that have scored. Not bad :-)
Day 2, Friday, August 3
Day two of a four day meet feels a bit daunting. You know you have two more days after this day and you've already warmed up 2,000 meters and raced a couple or more times. Hopefully, everyone has slept well enough, eaten well enough and is keeping in mind to stay relaxed and have fun. We'll see ...
Prelims: the morning kicked off early with the 200 FR followed by the 100 FL and 400 IM (no WHAT entries).
- Patrick was just off his best in the 200 FR.
- Stefan followed with 100 FL posting a PB 1:03.91.
- All four boys swam strong in the 400 FR relay posting a team record 3:45.46.
Friday afternoon gave the team an opportunity to race in a different venue - go karts. Coach Lersch and all four boys raced at RPM Raceway. It's a bit of an annual experience. The cars are fast and the competition tight. This was the first time racing for Luka, Noah and Stefan finishing in that order behind Coach Lersch and fastest racer Patrick.
Finals: though we had no one in finals, the relay ultimately finished 14th overall (and improvement from our 17th seed).
We finished the day losing just one place to 14th overall in the team rankings (now out of 33 teams scoring :-)
Day 3, Saturday, August 4
The third day will only see swims from Noah: 200 FL and 400 FR. The rest of the boys get a day or recuperate.
- Noah posted a season best in the 200 FL, and breaking the team record.
- Noah posted a PB in the 400 FR, qualifying for finals (and breaking the team record).
Finals: Noah finished 27th with a PB 4:22.46 in the 400 FR
Day 4, Sunday, August 5
Patrick & Stefan will compete in the 50 FR, Noah will compete in the 800 FR and all four will compete in the 400 Medley relay.
- Stefan posted a lifetime best 26.13 in the 50 FR.
- Patrick was just off his best in the 50 FR.
- The final relay for the boys finished 16th overall (seeded 17th). Though the team didn't break the team record, Noah lead off with a PB 1:04.87 in the 100 BK. Also, Luka posted a split in the 100 FL almost one second faster than his PB.
- Luka Time Trialed the 100 FR, posting his 2nd fastest time ever.
- Noah swam a lifetime best in the 800 FR, posting a 9:08.56 and breaking the team record as well.
Finals: we had no swims in this session.
The boys finished 19th in men's scoring, out of 36 teams that scored (of 69 teams entered) and ahead of all other AMS teams :-) Quite and accomplishment for the boys - congratulations to them! And lastly, thank you to the parents for making this opportunity possible.
You can look up the meet results via the app Meet Mobile, search buffalo and select LC Senior Zone Championship.