May 1, 2019
KATS has an open assistant coaching position. Position description and application instructions below.
Club: Kalispell Aquatic Team (KATS) is a nonprofit, parent board managed, community-based swim club. We practice year round and participate in USA Swimming competitions. KATS is open to swimmers of all ages and varying ability levels, and our athletes are encouraged to make swimming a consistent part of a healthy lifestyle. KATS relies on strong family participation, and team parents provide positive support to swimmers and coaches and volunteer for club duties. KATS has been operating in the Flathead Valley of Montana for the past 25+ years. The club has approximately 70 members. The KATS Mission is to develop and promote competitive swimming for all ages and abilities. To have a unique effect on encouraging a lifestyle of health and fitness, by developing athletes with high self-esteem, respect, and sportsmanship that may better serve our sport and our community of the Flathead Valley and the State of Montana. We encourage swimmers to set challenging goals for themselves and for the team, and to see themselves as accountable for reaching those goals.
Position: KATS is currently seeking 1 qualified applicant to serve as the Assistant Coach for KATS. KATS is an age group program with the club’s Bronze, Silver, and Gold/Senior groups. For Bronze and Silver groups primarily athletes ages 13 and younger. The Gold/Senior group is comprised of primarily athletes age between 13-18. The Assistant Coach will be primarily working with the Bronze and Silver groups.
Responsibilities: This position requires a minimum of 7.5 hours per week pool time, to include evening practice, and an additional 1-2 hours per week of administrative time.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times and abide by the rules of USAS and all facilities where the team is involved.
- Assist with the supervision of the use/operations of all KATS equipment on the pool deck whether owned, leased, or borrowed.
- Remain on deck during regular practice hours, whenever athletes are in the water or on deck. Practice hours will be dependent upon Facility Use Agreement, Coach, and Board determination. Practice hours include preparation before swimmers arrive and ensuring that swimmers have left the facility, as determined by the facility use agreement.
- Supervise the behavior of all team members during practice, meets, and team functions in accord with the code of conduct of KATS and USA Swimming.
- Assist in KATS fund raising and community activities, which may be assigned by the board with appropriate advance notice.
- Actively promote the KATS swimming program.
- Attend KATS Board meetings, Coach's meetings, Montana Swimming Inc. meetings and USA Swimming meetings as appropriate.
- Provide timely communication to KATS members and parents including phone calls, private meetings, and any appropriate forms of media. (Website, Facebook, email, etc.)
- Obtain, hold and maintain all certifications required for coaching credentials under USAS coaching rules and regulations.
Qualifications: Applicants (if not previously certified) must be willing to complete certification in CPR and water safety and become a registered coach member of United States Swimming, which requires a criminal background check. A college degree and previous competitive swimming and / or coaching experience are preferred, but not required.
Compensation: Pay will be based on experience/qualification. Professional (certification) costs and continuing education (certifications, clinics, etc …) costs will be covered by the club. All KATS coaches are strongly encouraged to continue their professional development.
Applicants: Please submit a resume with references and a cover letter to:
KATS Board at firstname.lastname@example.org