September 4, 2018
Hello RHAC Parents!
Tomorrow, Wednesday September 5th is the 1st day of the 2018-2019 RAYS! Atlantic Rays and Mini Rays Start tomorrow Thursday September 6th. The Coaching staff is beyond excited about the groups this session! Here are a couple of quick reminders heading into the new season:
1. As you know the month of September is a different schedule for the groups due to the RHSD#3 HS programs training at the facility. More info on this is posted on the event tab of the website, click here.
2. High School practices Vs RAYS practices. The coaching staff of the RAYS and the coaching staff support the HSs in the area and encourage your swimmer to continue to train with your HS teams. We know there are days you don’t have HS practice and we encourage your swimmers to attend those days if they want to. HS practice is a great motivator to the year round swimmer and you get to swim with your class mates!
4. Coaching Assignments for the Month of September (Coaches bio page in the top Right of the website will be updated shortly with new bios):
Mini Rays: Hannah Buckner, & Lauren Dix (3 other coaches will fill in however during HS they can not attend all workouts)
Atlantic Rays: Kris Martin, Hannah Buckner, & Lauren Dix
Blue Rays: Lynn Williams, Cory Tretsky, Hannah Buckner (Mondays and Wednesdays) & Preston Parrish
Electric Rays: Lynn Williams, Cory Tretsky, Hannah Buckner (Mondays & Wednesdays) & Preston Parrish
Manta Rays: Cory Tretsky & Lynn Williams
Pre-Senior 2: Cory Tretsky & Lynn Williams
Pre-Senior 1: Preston Parrish & Lynn Williams
Senior 1: Preston Parrish
*Tim Conley, some senior level swimmers, and other coaches will be filling in from time to time especially in the first few days of the season since Coach Preston will be out of town.
5. Parent Seating for Mini Rays and Atlantic Rays: Normally we run a closed pool deck during practices for all rays groups. However, due to the HS meets on Tuesdays/Thursday the spectator bleacher area will be closed off to Rays parents because the HS’s charge admission for the HS meets. So until the HS meet season is over (October 1st) please tell the admission table (next to front desk) that you are here for Rays practice and then you can sit to the right of the scoreboard at the far end of the pool deck. Fridays it is up to you the parents if you want to sit on deck near the pool or in the bleachers. The reason we run a closed pool deck is so the children focus is on what we are teaching them. Kids tend to show off their skills for the parents and that is great. The problem arises when what they are showing off is not what we are focusing on! You are more than welcome to come on deck to drop your swimmer off and make sure they are good to go. Once the HS season is over, we will resume asking the parents to sit in the bleacher area for practice.
5. WHAT DO YOUR SWIMMERS NEED FOR DAY 1? Goggles, Tight fitting swim suit (No board shorts for boys, No 2 pieces for girls), Swim cap if their hair goes past their ears. The front desk has goggles and caps for sale if your swimmer needs some. All swimmers will receive team caps in the next week. We will be have a sizing day(s) in the coming weeks for them to get fitted for a team suit and fins.
What Else to bring Tomorrow:
Blue, Electric Rays: Swim 4:30-5:30pm, Dryland 5:30-6:15pm (Swimmers will need sneakers socks, shorts, t-shirts)
Manta Rays: Dryland 4:30-5:30pm Dryland (Swimmers will need sneakers, socks, shorts, t-shirts) 5:30-6:45pm Swim
Pre-Senior 2: 4:30-5:30pm Dryland (Swimmers will need sneakers, socks, shorts, t-shirts) 5:30-7:00pm Swim
Pre-Senior 1, Senior 1: 4:30-5:30pm Dryland (Swimmers will need sneakers, socks, shorts, t-shirts) 5:30-7:30pm Swim
Mini Rays Levels 1, 2, & 3 and Atlantic Rays Start Thursday 9-6-17
Atlantic Rays: 4:30-5:30pm in the 8 Lane pool under scoreboard we will meet on the white bench at the block end of the pool
Mini Rays Level 1: 5:30-6:10pm in the 8 Lane pool under scoreboard we will meet on the white bench at the block end of the pool
Mini Rays Level 2: 6:10-7:00pm in the 8 Lane pool under scoreboard we will meet on the white bench at the block end of the pool
Mini Rays Level 3: 7:00-7:50pm in the 8 Lane pool under scoreboard we will meet on the white bench at the block end of the pool
7. The first few days/weeks of the younger groups will progress slowly. We will be instilling and reinforcing new skills and drills for all 4 strokes. The coaching staff has set goals for each and every day. “Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it was worked on daily.” Please be patience and believe in what we are doing with your children!
We are extremely excited about the upcoming season and can’t wait to get the kids in the water! If you have any questions please feel free to call!
-Preston Parrish, Head Coach