November 14, 2018
GCY and USA Swimming 1st Annual Swim-a-Thon Nov 15-Dec 15!
Each year USA Swimming offers a Swim-a-Thon program for member teams, this year the GCY Makos are participating! Our number one goal for proceeds are to go towards our YMCA's Annual Campaign for swimming funds, but a portion of the funds raised ALSO go towards USA Swimming's Annual mission of Saving Lives through various learn to swim programs like we offer at the YMCA's and through GCY!
Each year, the Annual Campaign that the YMCA sponsors gives an average of $5,000 or more to competitive swimmers and their families who could otherwise not afford to compete with GCY, we'd like to support this effort on an annual basis going forward! GCY also provides basic equipment, funds a large portion of the annual YMCA National Travel Team trips, gives away meet tshirts, and various other things to make our team affordable and fun! We'd like to continue to do these things in the future and this will help us, so our goal this first year will be just $5,000 or more dollars, we know with over 400 swimmers we can do this ($25 a swimmer would DOUBLE this goal)!
Packets will be available and handed out to each swimmer starting with the November 15th practice, and are due to be turned in by Saturday, December 15th. There are 3 opportunities for the swim-a-thon, our Kick-Off event the Friday after Thanksgiving, and 2 x Saturday morning practices in December (see details below).
Swimmers ask family members, friends, neighbors, or businesses to pledge a certain amount of money per length, or make a flat donation in support of the team (see below more details below).
We need all packets returned by December 15th whether participating or not, thanks in advance for this!
LOGISTICS OF SWIMMING:
3 Dates to Complete 100 Lengths (2500 yards) or 200 Lengths (5000 yards)
- 100 Length Goal (2500 yards): Will be done in normal length Makos, Makos 2, Makos Fit, and Age Group Practice
- 200 Length Goal (5000 yards): Will be done in normal length practice for Sr Prep and Up Practice (Sr Prep, Senior, Nat Prep, Nat 1, and Nat 2 groups)
- Dates of Swim-a-thon
(Must attend at least one):
- Friday, November 23rd
(BLACK FRIDAY, KICK OFF DAY) at GAC
- See Holiday Schedule for Exact Times, but will be during normal practice.
- Saturday, December December 8th: Normal Practice Times (Bryan or Ragsdale)
- Saturday, December December 15th: Normal Practice Times (Bryan or Ragsdale)
- Make-Up Dates/Days: If you cannot attend one of these 3 dedicated practice slots, ask your coach to count another practice (or practices) for your 100 or 200 lengths of the pool!
- Friday, November 23rd (BLACK FRIDAY, KICK OFF DAY) at GAC
Deadline to turn in ALL Swimathon packages/fundraising money is Saturday, December 15th (grace period will end no later than December 20th).
LOGISTICS OF COLLECTING:
Incentives from BOTH GCY and USA Swimming:
Incentives are available at these fundraising goals: Participation: USA Swimming Bag Tag (any amount raised), then below at $50, $125, $400, $600, $800, and $1200 & Up!
- Raise $50.00 - Any 2 GCY T-Shirts (any size, can be for parents/siblings or actual swimmer)
- Raise $125.00 - GCY Towel (black full size towel, normally $30)
USA Swimming Incentives: