December 21, 2018
Twenty-five Hammerheads raced in the 2018 Midwest Winter Classic in Lawrence, KS. NLU earned 86 best times, 59 finals swims, five District cuts, 6 Bonus Championship cuts, 6 Championship cuts, and one new Sectional cut! On to the highlights…
80% Best Times or Better
- Brayden Adams (9/9) 100%
- Tyler Briggs (12/12) 100%
- Lore Gibson (8/8) 100%
- Brandon Murguia (5/5) 100%
- Kemper Roberts (11/13) 84.6%
- Brayden Adams sprinted her 100 back for a Sectional time, and made a pair of Champ cuts in her 400 IM and 100 breast; she also returned for finals in her 200 IM, 100 back, 100 breast, and 50 free.
- Alex Briggs raced finals in his 100 fly.
- Tyler Briggs was victorious in the 100 IM, 100 fly, 100 back, and 50 fly; he also raced finals in the 50 back and 50 free.
- Adam Conrad made finals in five of his events - the 100 IM, 100 breast, 100 back, 50 breast, and 200 free - scoring top-8 in all of them.
- Ray Fugett grabbed a pair of Bonus cuts in the 50 free and 200 free, plus racing finals in all three of his events: the 100 free, 50 free, and 200 free.
- Lore Gibson raced to Bonus cuts and finals in her 100 back and 100 breast, earned two more Bonus cuts in the 100 free and 200 breast, and grabbed Districts in her 50 free.
- Grace Hanson sprinted into finals and her Champ cut in the 100 breast.
- Brooklynn Hays raced to finals for her Champ time in the 50 breast, and made finals in her 100 back.
- Jackson Kennedy cut a whopping 13 seconds for his District time in the 500 free, and made Districts in his 200 free.
- Patrick Lee made it back to race his full slate of the 100 breast, 100 fly, and 200 free.
- Roman Lewis sprinted into finals in all of his events: the 100 IM, 100 free, 50 back, 100 back, 50 free, and 50 fly.
- Wyatt Morgan returned for finals in his 200 IM.
- Brandon Murguia raced finals in his 500 free, and made Districts in the 500 and 200 freestyles.
- Clay Pilliard splashed into finals in the 100 back, 500 free, 200 back, and 200 free.
- Kemper Roberts sprinted to victory in his 200 IM; took silver in the 50 free; bronze in the 100 IM, 50 back, and 100 back; and raced finals in the 100 breast and 50 fly.
- Carson Smith sprinted to finals in the 50 free.
- Hannah Stewart raced to a big 14 second drop for Champs in the 500 free, made Champs and finals in her 200 free, and raced finals in her 100 IM, 100 free, 50 breast, and 50 free.