January 5, 2019
To our registered GSH Officials:
Please note that Swim Ontario will once again be hosting a series of Officials Clinics via webinar platform.
Instructor: Nicole Parent, Level V
A computer or tablet and internet connection are required. The tablet / Ipad devices do not provide all features of the webinar platform.
Pre-requisites are as follows:
- Intro to Swim Officiating and Safety Marshal clinics (Level 1 clinics)
- Judge of Stroke and Inspector of Turn Clinic is highly recommended
- Knowledge of the working deck at competitions
- Meet Manager and CFJ-CJE Clinics: Some knowledge of the Clerk of Course and Recorder Scorer positions are highly recommended before taking the Meet Manager and CFJ-CJE Clinics.
The following Clinics via Webinar will be offered:
- Chief Timekeeper on Jan. 23, 2019 from 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM
- Clerk of Course on Jan. 24, 2019 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Recorder Scorer on Jan. 30, 2019 from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM
- Meet Manager on Jan. 31, 2019 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Chief Finish Judge & Chief Judge Electronics on Feb. 4, 2019, from 7:30 to 10:00 PM
Registration is required. Click link: https://form.jotform.
Moving up as Officials – The Swimming Canada Officials Certification Pathway:
- We have had a number of GSH Officials ask us how they can move up the “ranks” as officials.
- The Officials Certification Pathway
developed by Swimming Canada lays out the requirements for each
level. See: https://swimming.ca/content/
uploads/2015/06/officials- certification-pathway- september-11-2017.pdf
- We encourage you to continue to gain experience on deck at swim meets and to obtain your sign-offs, along with taking the clinics, as you meet the pre-requisites. This is also a really great way to attain your GSH Family Participation Points.
- We also suggest you explore how you can gain more experience as Officials, based on what works for you. We would love to see more of our experienced GSH Officials obtain their Level 2 certification by the end of the season. This will help us meet the requirements for the Sea Hawks to host our own sanctioned meet in the future!
Tracking your attendance at Clinics and Sign-offs:
- A reminder to track your on deck volunteer time, sign-offs, and clinics.
- For those that participated in the Fall Swim ON webinars, or the December 2018 GSH or NKB clinics - Your Swimming Canada Officials accounts have been updated.
- Please be advised that your Team Unify accounts are updated at the end of each month, following review and approval.
- White Officials certification cards – Although Swim Ontario/Swimming Canada are moving away from the use of the cards to the electronic Swimming Canada Officials account, the cards continue to be another helpful tool to track your clinics and on deck sign-offs.
- If your cards were not updated with
your recent courses, OR you are a new official and still do not
have your card, please email your GSH Officials Team at: gsh.officials.chair@gmail.
See you on Deck!!
Kelly, Christina and Ian