February 4, 2019
I hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed the Super Bowl. Please read through this week’s email for important information.
Practices During Inclement Weather
Based on the forecast it looks like we will continue to get snow today and tomorrow. We will do our best to keep practices as scheduled and avoid canceling, but safety of our coaches and families is the main priority.
If a practice does it get canceled, I will send an email out and post it on the Facebook page. I will do my best to give as much warning as possible, but, as you know, weather in Reno can change any second.
As of now, practice this afternoon/evening is still on as scheduled.
Friday Practice – February 8
The Pre-Senior, Blue, and Mini RENO will have normal practice on Friday. There will be NO practice for National and Senior.
Douglas Dolfins Valentine’s Day Invite – February 8 – 10
Thank you to everyone for registering for the Douglas Dolfins swim meet. We have 67 swimmers entered in the meet. Outstanding! I will be sending an email in the coming days with the meet information.
President’s Day Practice – February 18
On Monday, February 18 there will be NO practice for the Orange, Blue, and Mini RENO groups. National, Senior, and Pre-Senior groups will have practice from 7:00 – 9:00 AM at Northwest Pool.
Upcoming Practice Changes
Here are the upcoming changes to the schedule:
- Friday, February 8 – Normal practice for Pre-Senior, Blue, and Mini RENO; NO practice for National and Senior.
- Monday, February 18 (President’s Day) -- No practice for the Orange, Blue, and Mini RENO groups. National, Senior, and Pre-Senior groups will have practice from 7:00 – 9:00 AM at Northwest Pool.
- On Monday, February 25th the high school swim season starts. This means several of the schools will be using Northwest Pool for practice from 3:00 - 4:15 PM. RENO’s start/finish times for each group will be pushed back 15 minutes.
Swim for Funds
Swim for Funds is in progress! We are looking forward to a great event on Saturday, February 23, 2019, from 4:30 – 6:30 pm at the Carson pool. Swimmers should plan to collect pledges until February 23. This is our biggest fundraiser and we are looking to raise $10,000! We’d like every swimmer to participate.
Nitro Swim Club, based in Austin, TX, had a couple paragraphs about swim meets in their recent newsletter. I really liked their message. With the upcoming Douglas meet, I wanted to share:
“There will be some ups and not so ups. There will be some missed turns, botched finishes, maybe even a goggle mishap or two. Not to worry. It’s just a swim meet. It’s a new environment for a lot of the kids who will be there. It can be very intimidating having to “perform” in a larger than normal setting. Keep in mind that your CHILD wants one thing from you more than anything else. They don’t need their race(s) scrutinized. They don’t need to hear how they could have done this better or that better. They simply need to hear from you that you are proud of them. That’s it. Of course, a well-timed hug can do wonders as well.
You are all ambassadors this weekend. Ambassadors of yourselves, of [your team], and of youth sports. You will likely see some behavior from people that will not be agreeable to our philosophies. Recognize it and be grateful that’s not how we behave. Remember these powerful words: ‘I’m proud of you.’”- Credit: Nitro Swim Club
Every swimmer handles swim meets differently. Some are motivated by best times and ribbons; others could care less about what place they finished, they are just there to have a fun time with their friends. As coaches, we have three goals for the swimmers at meets:
1. Give 100% effort in every race.
2. Represent RENO in a positive way.
3. Have fun!
Every swim meet and every race is an opportunity to learn and get better. Yes, not every race is going to be perfect. DQs will happen. Not getting a best time will happen. Not winning every event will happen. What’s important is the experience, learning from mistakes, giving 100% effort, and trying to do better next time they step on the blocks.
As the excerpt from Nitro says, please don’t scrutinize your child’s performance. Let this be the job of the coach. Coaches coach and parents parent. I am looking forward to an outstanding meet this weekend!
Each week, I will post the “Parent Education” section on the website. Click here to read the archived articles.
Here are the upcoming meets for Reno Aquatic Club:
- February 8 – 10 – Douglas Dolfins Valentine's Day Invite / Minden, NV (all)
- March 3 – Zone All-Star Meet (those seleced)
- March 13 – 15 – Pacific 14-Under JO Meet (Qualification times needed – talk with coach to see if swimmer should attend)
- March 23 – 24 – NNA Age Group Open / Reno, NV (Swimmers who don't have another meet in March or April)
- April 4 – 7 – Far Westerns / Santa Clara, CA (all qualified)
- April 12 – 14 – Folsom Spring Splash (long course) / Folsom, CA (talk with your child’s coach)
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thank you for your support.