February 7, 2019
Hi Stingrays families,
We hope everyone had wonderful holidays. We know the weather is cold and the summer swim season feels far away but the coaches and board are hard at work preparing for another super fun season. Here are some important updates and reminders:
Announcing our new Head Coach- Nick Ward
We are extremely excited to welcome Coach Nick Ward to the Stingrays! He comes to us with over five years of coaching and ten years of teaching experience. He is currently a special education teacher in the Baltimore County Public Schools and lives in Hanover, PA. Nick was an assistant coach for the Gettysburg Sharks, a YWCA team, and has also coached a variety of other sports at many different age and ability levels. Nick has many years of swimming experience including at the collegiate level. He swam at Penn State Altoona on the Division III NCAA team and then at Penn State University at the club level. Nick and his wife met while swimming at Penn State University and they have 4 children.
We look forward to an amazing year with Nick as our head coach.
Online registration is open for returning members
Registration is open for returning swimmers and siblings age 5-19. All swimmers must be able to complete a full length of the pool unassisted to join the swim team. Please read the registration instructions at the end of the newsletter carefully as the registration process has changed. Registration will open for new members on March 1st so please reserve your spot now.
Due to the success of the Mini-Stingray program last year, we will continue the program for the 2019 season with some minor modifications. In order to provide the safest and best experience for our swimmers, the Mini-Stingray group will be practicing from 8:45-9:15 am in the deep well during our swim lesson program.
Please be aware that eligible Mini-Stingrays must:
- Have some prior swimming experience (lessons etc)
- Be at least 5 years old
- Be comfortable swimming in deep water unassisted as this group practices in the deep well
- Be available for both the 8:45 practice time as well as the 11-11:45 am practice time. (Swimmers will be moved to the 11-11:45 am practice once they can swim 25 meters)
- Be able to swim at least 15 meters unassisted
Members of this group will be moved up to the Stingrays 9 & under practice (11-11:45 am) and entered into meets when the coaches determine they are able to swim 25 meters unassisted. The goal of this program is to have all members of the Mini-Stingrays entered into a meet by the end of the season.
If, during the first practice, a child does not meet the minimum requirements for the Mini-Stingrays, the family will be offered the opportunity to sign up for two swim lesson sessions or be eligible for a refund of the $140 swim team fee. Refunds are not available for the cost of the AAU Membership or the Westminster Pool Season Pass. The Mini-Stingrays group will be limited to 8 swimmers.
Personalized Swim Caps
New this year, you will have the opportunity to order custom swim caps with your swimmer’s last name. Caps are $28/pair (we are only able to order in sets of two) and are available for purchase during registration. Please don’t miss out; we will not be able to repeat this order later in the season.
Step 1: Obtain a family membership to the Westminster Municipal Pool
- You may purchase by calling 410-751-5501 or at the Westminster Recreation and Parks Office located at 11 Longwell Ave, Westminster
- Keep your receipt; you will need the receipt number to register
- Swimmers will not be allowed to practice, participate in meets, or be on deck without a family membership
Step 2: Complete online registration on the team website
- Go to www.westminsterstingrays.org and click on “start registration”
- New this year: You do not need to register your swimmers for AAU membership on the AAU site. You will complete this process during registration on the Stingrays site. Your membership fee includes the $14 AAU membership fee.
Get your pool membership early and save
Pool 2019 Rates
City Resident Family
Non-Resident Family $260
A family membership is required for team
Early Bird Discounts
Purchase by March 31 Save 15%
Purchase by April 30 Save 10%
Purchase by May 15 Save 5%