February 9, 2019
NOVA needs your help in our commitment to keeping kids safe. Safe Sport is an important part of swimming, and below are the step by step instructions to take a 10 minute course on the subject. This video will help you define abuse, explain boundaries, and understand USA swimming’s policies and guidelines regarding athlete protection protocol. How can you make the commitment to keeping kids safe?
An important part of helping keep our kids safe is educating them on this subject as well. USA swimming has put together a 12 minute “safe sport for athletes” video that can be accessed with the above steps. I recommend having your swimmers watch this interactive video on the subject, and then you can have a discussion with them about what they learned so that your family is on the same page!
Please let me know if you have any questions or would like further discussion!
2. If you are not a member of USA Swimming, you can still access online courses here. If you are a parent or are affiliated with another organization, you probably do not have a membership. Parents click “create account.”
- If you are an official or certified chaperone, sign in to your member portal and follow these steps.
3. Fill out your name, DOB, and email. LSC should be “Virginia Swimming,” and Club Name “NOVA of Virginia Aquatics.”
4. Click “register” then “courses”
5. All of these courses are free and great sources of information about safe sport. The one we ask you to complete is “safe sport for swim parents,” but parents have access to any of the courses USA swimming offers. Click “add to cart” for any courses you would like to take and then “check out.”
6. Complete the required information (nothing will be billed to you, and you aren’t signing up for anything). Click “Place order” then “dashboard”.
7. When you are ready, click “start”