March 26, 2019
The Florida Gold Coast Board of Directors has created new Scholarship in response to the 2018 tragic school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida, which included one of our own - local swimmer Nicholas Dworet - as one of the victims. In keeping with Nick’s drive and determination to continue his swimming career collegiately, this scholarship is designed to encourage and support our FGC athletes who share that same drive and determination!
✓ The “FGC Soaring Eagle Scholarship” will be awarded annually by the FGC LSC Board of Directors
✓ The scholarship award is $1000
✓ The scholarship award will be announced at the end-of-season LCM Senior Meet (FGC Senior Champs)
FGC LSC SCHOLARSHIP CRITERIA: Applicants must meet all the following: • Be enrolled in final year of high school (Senior) – any school, including Homeschool or FLVS. • Exhibit intent to continue swimming collegiately – any level • Hold 36 continuous months of registration in the FGC – any team. • Submit an essay (minimum 500 words, topic chosen by scholarship committee) • Provide two letters of recommendation (one teacher, one coach) • Phone interview with members of the selection committee may be required Applicants must also meet 2 of the following 3 additional criteria: • 3.5 GPA (non-weighted) • Provide documentation for swimming in college (Verbal Commitment, email, NLI) • Provide documentation for participation or volunteerism in an FGC-sponsored event such as Swimposium or agreed-upon event in the last 12 months
APPLICATION INFORMATION: • 2019 Applications are open from March 26th – May 31st, 2019
• Please complete the Application form and prepare your essay and your letters of recommendation!
• Please scan/email your paperwork to: FGCSoaringEagleScholarship@gmail.com OTHER INFO:
• Candidates will be evaluated by Special Scholarship Committee appointed by the FGC Board of Directors • Winner will be notified by both phone and by email mid-July
• Recipient will be publicly recognized at LSC LCM Senior Champs (session tbd by meet host)
• Funds will be dispersed as appropriate, depending on scholarship requirements for that university BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OUR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS!!