April 7, 2019
The Langley Olympians had a GREAT day of swimming on the last day of the Swimming Canada World Championship Trials. Swimmers were represented in the 200 Individual Medley and 800 Freestyle.
First off, Hillary Metcalfe swam the Women's 200 IM and got a 0.66s BT in prelims. She placed 8th and made it to the Championship Final. Hillary cranked it a notch further achieved another 0.68s BT, a total of 1.34s BT from her lifetime best in the event. In the process, Hillary broke an eight year old Senior/Open Club Record! Old Record holder was Melanie Dodds back in 2011.
Bailey Herbert also swam the 200 IM and made it to 16th place. She qualified for the Consolation Final. During the consolation final, Bailey was able to improve her prelims time by 1.82s. She placed 4th during the consolation finals.
Joshua Kim swam the 200 IM in prelims as well and clocked his first best time in the meet, with a time of 2:11.37L. In the process, Joshua broke a 13 year old club in the Men's 15-17 yo 200 IM. Old record holder was Jake Tapp from 2006.
Hugh McNeill swam the 200 IM during time trials. He was able to clock a 0.48s BT.
The most awaited news of the meet is now out as well! The whole L&A OSC membership would like to congratulate the following swimmers for their achievement in the meet:
- Hillary Metcalfe for making the 2019 FISU Games (Summer Universiade)! This meet is an international level, high performance meet of university swimmers across the world! It will be held in Naples, Italy from July 4-10.
- Bailey Herbert for making the 2019 FINA World Jr Championships! This meet is an international level, high performance meet of junior-aged swimmers across the world! It will be held in Budapest, Hungary from Aug 20-25.
- Hugh McNeill for breaking the 15-17 yo and Senior/Open Club Record for the 400 IM.
- Joshua Kim for breaking the 15-17 yo Club Record for the 200 IM.
- Hillary Metcalfe for breaking the Senior/Open Club Record for the 200 IM.
Congratulations to all swimmers!
L&A OSC Staff