May 24, 2019
The YMCA Swimming Emerging Leader Academy Info
|The YMCA Swimming Emerging Leader Academy (formerly "Leadership Development Camp") is a season-long program in which 22 YMCA National level swimmers further develop their leadership capacity through online learning, on-site workshops, interviews, assignments, conference calls, group work and community service. The ELA begins in August, continues through Short Course YMCA Nationals and includes a 3 1/2 day intensive camp in Orlando, FL in October.|
The ELA is an opportunity for swimmers and coaches to further development their leadership, communication and decision-making skills. This year's camp will be October 10-13 in Orlando, FL and will include workshops, swim practices, community service and several pre- and post-camp assignments.
The YMCA Swimming Emerging Leader Academy (ELA) provides high school juniors who already demonstrate personal and team leadership qualities with an opportunity to further develop their skills alongside other emerging leaders from the YMCA Swimming community. This is a comprehensive 9-month learning and development opportunity that includes training, e-learning, assignments, projects and conference calls as well as an on-site swimposium experience. Participants must be thoughtful, prepared and proactive throughout the ELA experience.
- High school junior (11thgrade)
- Grade Point Average 3.0 or higher
- Has participated in YMCA National Swimming Championship Meet
- Demonstrates positive leadership skills among peers
- Exemplifies the YMCA’s core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Prepared to contribute to discussions, express opinions and share ideas
- Prepared to complete all assignments, projects and conference calls
- Able to complete challenging two-hour practice sessions of 5,000-7,000 yards without sitting out. (see sample workout) Average freestyle intervals 1:15/100 yds. and faster
Complete applications include
- Application Form
- Leadership Essay
- Coach Recommendation
- Peer Recommendation
- School, or Civic Recommendation
- School/Academic Transcript
SPY Parent and Athlete may also chat with Coach John or Coach Mickey for more details.
SPY Alum Emma Sampson who is swimming for University of Toledo and will be team co-captain for 2018-19 season attended this swim camp.
SPY Senior Rylie Turner particpated in the comprehensive progeram during the 2018-19 Swim Season.