May 28, 2019
Loggerhead Senior Swimmers,
USA Swimming has come out with some pretty big changes in the form of its new Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP). As coaches, we’ve been working on deciphering some of the rules and working on some changes as they were very strict on our 18 year old athletes.
We will have an email coming out very shortly discussing the full MAAPP policies and how that affects our every day operations, travel trips, etc as a Loggerhead. This email particularly works through the now mandatory class of that our 18 year old athletes must take to remain eligible USA Swimming members. Those that turn 18 must have had this class BEFORE their 18th birthday or they will become ineligible.
The class is Athlete Protection Training. It is taken through the USA Swimming website and is the same class that Officials and Coaches must take.
You will need to be logged in to USA Swimming’s website with your athlete ID number, and please print out a verification of the completed course for your records. As this is new, we are REALLY unsure how USA Swimming is tracking it all and want to make sure you are covered so your times do not become invalidated (USA Swimming has already stated that times swum without the APT training course will be invalidated, including Olympic Trial cuts).
In short, once you turn 18, USA Swimming is considering you an ADULT. Even if you’re still in high school. There are zero ways around not taking this class and continuing as a USA Swimming member at this time.
More information on MAAPP will be coming out this week, this goes into affect June 23, 2019. ALL 18 year old simmers MUST have completed the APT course by June 23.
The Loggerhead Coaching Staff
Instructions for Athlete Protection Training:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETION
To complete the Athlete Protection Training Certification, please follow the directions below:
- Enter your first name, last name, and birthday. Make sure to use your legal name. Click the Search button.
- When the system finds you, click on "CONTINUE" to access the LEARN site.
You must take
three courses to complete the requirement:
- "Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education"
- "Mandatory Reporting"
- "Emotional and Physical Misconduct"
- Once you have completed your courses, your membership record will update within 24 hours with a new APT expiration date.
- Your APT will expire 12 months after you complete all three courses.
If you get a "No Results Found" message, one of three things has happened:
- You may have made a typo on your name and birthday. Double check and resubmit.
- If everything is correct and you are or have ever been a member of USA Swimming, it is possible that there is a typo in your membership information in the USA Swimming database. Contact your LSC registrar.
- You have never been registered with USA Swimming. You must join through your LSC. New members will be required to have your application form and payment processed by your LSC registrar before you can sign in to complete the course.