June 20, 2019
NTC Team update
Thursday, June 20, 2019
- Swimmers should plan on practice occurring either in the water or as dryland unless directly notified otherwise by Coach Gibb or Coach Alex.
- Notification will occur via email- ‘Alex Baxter via Team Unify’, OnDeck app notification, and sms notification (if you have completed this portion on team website under My Account/My Account/SMS).
- We will also make use of the NTC Aquatics facebook page and the Parents of NTC Lightning facebook group.
- Also recommmeded is the NTC app (search app store for NTC Clermont). Click on weather on this app to view our live Thorguard update.
Bronze- Extra practice this Friday, June 21- 5:00-5:45pm.
- We will have a make-up Bronze practice tomorrow since we lost two practices to weather this week.
- Welcome to our new swimmers from Swim Fit 1 and Swim America!
- Attendance has been a bit light and we can’t get better if we’re not in the water! Should you have issues due to schedule/work please reach out to Coach Alex about possible options to keep our attendance up.
- Practices have been strong this week! Keep it up.
- Though we lost a practice due to storms the other night we will NOT have a make-up Saturday due to the Riptide Meet. A few Gold swimmers will however be invited to join Senior 1 for Saturday morning. Coach Alex will speak to these swimmers directly at practice.
- Swimmers need to make every effort to attend morning practices. Attendance at these practices has not been reflective of the goals for swimmers in the group. And, this is summer in Central Florida, afternoon practices will often be affected by storms.
- Keep at it! The competition and championship portions of the season are fast approaching!
Week of Independence Day-
- All Groups- normal schedule through Wednesday, July 3.
- All Groups- off July 4th.
- Senior 1 & Senior 2- AM practices only on Friday, July 5th and Saturday, July 6th.
- Gold/Silver/Bronze- No practices Thursday, July 4th-Sunday, July 7th. Gold swimmers can see Coach Alex about possibility of joining Senior 1 practices for Friday and Saturday.
Riptide June Short Course Invite-
- 13&Over swimmers. Check In 8:30am, Warm Up 8:40am, Meet Start 9:30am
- 2&Under swimmers. Check In 1:05pm, Warm Up approximately 1:20pm, Meet Start approximately 1:55pm.
- 12&Under swimmers. Check In 12:00pm, Warm Up approximately 12:15pm, Meet Start approximately 12:50pm.
- NTC caps, goggles, NTC team suits, NTC team apparel.
- Coaches will bring shade tents, kids and parents should bring chairs and snacks and water.
- At this meet we’ll have two coaches so we ask that parents please sit separately from the swimmers for the session.
- Coaches will have additional NTC caps for purchase ($10).
USA Swimming Minor Athlete Protection Policy Updates-
USA Swimming and the Center for Safe Sport have created
new guidelines for athlete protection, primarily centered around
electronic communications between coaches/staff and minor athletes.
With our team, this will most affect our Senior 1 and Senior 2
Going forward please help us establish these rules for when your swimmers wish to reach out to the coaches electronically:
- A Parent/Guardian needs to be a part of any text to the coaches. Have your swimmer add your number to their conversations with the coaching staff.
- A Parent/Guardian needs to be CC’d on any email communications with the coaches.
- Communication between coaches and swimmers will be limited to the hours of 8:00am-8:00pm with exceptions for emergencies only (practice cancelations, for example).
- Swimmers may follow @NTCAquatics and @SwimCoachAlex on Instagram but need to refrain from use of direct messaging to those accounts. We also will not follow the social media accounts of any minor athletes. (On occasion, swimmers have sent messages to share videos of races/drills of elite athletes to ask questions about technique. Swimmers should save these videos and ask these questions of the coaches on deck.)
Athlete Protection Policy Affecting NTC Swimmers, Ages
17 & Over:
In addition to these protections for electronic communications with minor athletes, another component of the policy will affect our swimmers ages 17 & over.
All NTC team members who are currently 18 & over must complete the online USA Swimming Athlete Protection Training before June 23, 2019.
After June 23, 2019, all swimmers age 17 will need to complete this training before they turn 18.
This training will be required to completed annually. The affected 18 & over swimmers will be ineligible to compete, by USA Swimming rules, after June 23, 2019, unless they are current with the training requirement.
More detailed information about the new minor athlete protection policies.
Athlete Protection Training for 17&Over athletes.