June 25, 2019
Howdy Dolphin Families,
As we wrap up Week 2, we would like to say a special THANK YOU to all who helped make our first (of two) Somerset SPIRIT week a major success! Our Spirit Captain, Delia Vanderzon, andsome of our esteemed Junior Coaches, put together a week that helped team morale, team spirit and team building at all practices! Kudos to you all for bringing together our Somerset Dolphins. Save the dates for our second SPIRIT week: Friday, July 12th to Friday, July 19th.
Although we had to deal with some stormy weather this week, we still had an incredible number of swimmers show up to each morning practice this week (maybe it's because we also had the Coaches Breakfast afterwards...). We want to give another SPECIAL THANK YOU SHOUT OUT to Maura Vanderzon for making sure that the Coaches Breakfast ran smoothly every day this week!
Also, we want to THANK everyone who helped make our first two home meets of the season possible!
FYI: please make sure that your swimmer(s) know to see me or Coach Nate after their races at both B- or A-Meets. It will allow us to talk with them immediately after to provide feedback and updates on their swims.
In yesterday's A-Meet we had SEVEN (7) AMAZING "Swim Ups". What the "Swim Up" means is that a younger swimmer will swim in an age group that is older than their age groups. We have listed below the swimmers who swam up:
- Cameron Edick (6) Boys 9-10
- Elise Wosinska (8) Girls 9-10
- Chelsea Green (8) Girls 9-10
- Carter Davis (12) Girls 13-14
- Eliza Fox (11) Girls 13-14
- Jonah Roark (14) Boys 15-18
- Tibor Teleki (14) Boys 15-18
Swimmers of the Meet goes to the boy and girl swimmer who has tremendous performance(s), big time drops and/or awesome charisma for being a Somerset Dolphin! The following are this Week's Swimmers of the Meet:
- Eliza Fox
- Pierpaolo Baldassari
As a little special, unexpected Week 2 award, but nonetheless SUPER IMPORTANT, we announced the Best Dressed Swimmer! We plan to continue this award through the remainder of the season for the A-Meets. This award goes to the boy or girl swimmer who shows up to the meet in the best themed outfit. The Best Dressed Swimmer of the Meet goes to:
- Jonah Hu
- Dylan Reilly (8&U) - 25 Free, 25 Breast, 25 Fly
- Miles Haraldsson (13-14) - 50 Free, 100 IM, 50 Back, 50 Fly
- Peter Kumar (11-12) - 50 Free
- Phoebe Lewis (11-12) - 50 Free
- Delia Vanderzon (15-18) - 100 Free, 50 Fly
- Samantha Smith (15-18) - 100 Back, 100 IM, 50 Fly
- Nicole Vanderzon (15-18) - 50 Fly
To round out our SPIRIT week, this was the Inaugural 2019 Washington D.C. Sharkfest Open Water Swim at National Harbor. David Panner swum to two overall 2nd place finishes for the 4K and 1K, while Amy Power and I swum to first place in our age group for the 1k. Attached is a picture of the after the awards! Last weekend on Sunday, we had a few swimmers participate in the Just TRYAN It triathlon! Congrats to each one of them who participated and completed their triathalon!
Important Week 3 Dates & Other Save the Dates
- Week 3 B-Meet: Wednesday, 6/26, we will swim against CCRA at THEIR POOL. Be at CCRA by 5:15PM!
- Week 3 A-Meet: Saturday, 6/29, we will swim against Garrett Park at HOME. Be at our pool by 7:50AM! Team lunch will be served at the pool after the meet.
- Second SPIRIT week (and Coaches Breakfast): Friday, 7/12 to Friday, 7/19
- Team Picture Day: Friday, 7/12
- Team Capture the Flag: Monday, 7/15, after 6:00PM practice
Attached are the Week 2 results for BOTH B- and A-Meets.
We had a fun Week 2, which means that Week 3 will be just as good or better! Let's continue to train hard, swim fast, and keep up our STRONG DOLPHIN SPIRIT!!!!
Coach Kristina, Coach Nate, and Coach Jessica