Minor Abuse Prevention Policy - Instructions
July 2, 2019
Completing the new USA Swimming Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP) for athletes that turn 18 years of age (from an athlete’s perspective)
- The following are instructions to complete the Athlete Protection Training. This training must be completed once an athlete turns 18. This training took me just under 2 hours.
- Create an account or sign in if you have one. I had to create one. (www.usaswimming.org) This will take about 5 minutes. Use an email that you check regularly (this is important for later).
- You should be completing “Athlete Protection Training.” www.usaswimming.org/apt
- Go to www.usaswimming.org/learn while you are logged in to your USA Swimming account. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your last name, first name, and birthday. Click search. Click on your name when it comes up. Click start.
- You may have to add these trainings to your cart. They cost “$0.00.” Add the following lessons: Emotional & Physical Misconduct; Mandatory Reporting; Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education.
- Each of these lessons will be 25 points. You must get 75 points, meaning that you must complete all 3 lessons.
- Each lesson consists of a pre quiz, videos, readings, and a post quiz. There is a next arrow at the bottom of every page once you have completed/read/watched the content on the page. You cannot skip through the videos; the lesson will not let you move on until you watch them. The lessons will also have you click through specific scenarios and ask you what your response would be in each scenario. These scenarios are not graded. The pre quiz at the beginning of the lesson is not graded. The pre quiz and post quiz questions are the same. You can only miss one question on the post quiz to pass the lesson.
- After you complete a lesson, you should get a downloadable certificate and see a ribbon and the word “congratulations.” If you do not see the ribbon or the congrats message, you may have to go back in and answer the survey question. The survey question asks if the lesson helped you understand the topics covered in the lesson.
- Complete all 3 courses. Your certification progress meter should read “75/75 pts (100%)” when you are finished. If you do not see this, you are not done.
- Pictured below is what your screen should look like when you have completed the Athlete Protection Training. The right side of the screen shows the certification progress meter.
- After completing all 3 lessons, you should get a confirmation email from USA Swimming. It should look like the picture below. The certification may take 24 hours to appear in your account. Your certification will expire after 1 year.