July 5, 2019
LBA Summer Season in Full Swing
With so many meets coming up we felt it was a good time to go over some important information for the new families (or a nice reminder for returning families)
- Swim Meets: If you signed up your swimmer for a swim meet, but cant remember which events, all entries are posted on the website under events. Just click on whichever meet you are looking for, and you will see the meet information as well as entries posted towards the bottom. Under the meet information, you will see things like order of events, warm up times and address of pools. You may also see a part about entry fee’s per event. You do not need to worry about that, as all meet entry fee’s are part of the team fees that are paid in the beginning of the season. Once we send out meet entries, our team is responsible for those fee’s whether you child swims or not. We understand that things come up, and people may get sick at the last minute, but recently we have had too many “scratches” or no-Shows, and that is just throwing money out the window for no reason.
- Swim Practice-Swim Meet Etiquette. When your child is at swim practice, this is their time. Let them be engaged in what is happening around them. Too many times, we as coaches have seen parents yelling from the balcony (whether it be to tell them to focus, or tell them what’s for dinner) This is not only distracting to the swimmer, but distracting to all the swimmers and coaches on deck. It is loud enough on the deck with all the people and swimming taking place, that we don’t need to add to it. We have also had some parents “coach” their child from the balcony. This is wrong on so many levels. Leave the coaching up to the coaches please. I promise you, they know what they are doing. We have a motto here at LBA of “Swimmers Swim, Coaches coach, and parents parent”. While at a swim meet, we would like you to be aware of a few things. Your child needs to be sitting with the team at all times. This is a great opportunity for your swimmers to get to know their teammates and watch them compete. After your child races, the first place they need to go is to their coach to get feedback from their coach. Swimmers and parents should never be sitting together at a meet! Also, be considerate and respectful of other Swim parents around you in the stands whether it be at practice or a meet. If you want to video your child race, go right ahead, but go to a place where you are not blocking 10 other people by doing so.
- Parents are not allowed on the pool deck, this includes practices as well as meets. On the days we are at the high school, parents can watch practice from the viewing area, not from the bleachers. When you drop your child off to swim practice, they are more than capable of walking through the locker room up onto the pool deck with their equipment and head to their coach. When we are at a swim meet, and the meet marshall sees a parent on the pool deck, they will be asked to leave immediately.
- If you need to speak to your child’s coach, the best way to do this is through email. All the coaches email addresses are on the website, on the home page under coaches. (some of the new coaches are still in the process of being added). Some of our coaches are going from one group to another so even though your child may be done at 7, does not mean the coaches are done. Please do not try to approach a coach while they are coaching. If these rules can not be followed, we will have to start to have a closed practice policy like many other teams do. If you have a question that can be answered by your child’s coach, address that coach before going to Kelly.
- Team Fee's: your child will not be able to practice until all fees are taken care of. The registration forms are on the website, you need to print them and bring them in filled out. The team fee is made out to Long Beach Aquatics and should be handed to a coach, not the front desk. The lesson fee and pool membership are both made out to the city of long beach and should be paid at the front desk of the rec (not to the child’s coach). Please do not put your child in the position of being turned away at practice! That is not fair to them. All fees should have been paid prior to the first day of practice. (and that was in April)
That’s all for now. Any questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com