July 22, 2019
- 11 - 14 Age Group Party: Will be held this afternoon, Monday, July 22nd at Danville Bowl. We have a few open slots and can accept last minute adds. Click HERE to sign up and also for details.
- IMPORTANT note about practice this week: We will be tapering. What is "tapering"? It is what swimmers do at the end of a long hard season. Swimmers need to rest and stay hydrated all week long. This means taking it easy, eating healthy and drinking LOTS of water. Practice will get easier as the week progresses.We will be working on all aspects of the race. This is an extremely important week! PLEASE get to practice on time, everyday!
- Spirit Week starts TODAY with a variety of fun events occurring ALL week. Please see below for additional information! TODAY, is also the last day to make a reservation for the Pasta Feed that will be held on Wednesday, July 24th. Please call the RHCC reception desk to reserve a spot.
The VSA (Valley Swim Association) League Championship Meet: is this WEEKEND, July 27th and 28th at Dougherty High School. Be on the look out for an email later this week outlining "Everything You Need to Know about League".
- Coaches Lessons: For the week of June 22 - 26, these have been posted to the website. Click HERE to see availability and to sign up. Please remember these lessons are only for swimmers attending VSA.
- End of Season Celebration: If you have not yet done so, please remember to call the RHCC receptionist no later than August 5th to reserve a spot! The celebration will be held on Sunday, August 11th at 4pm.
- Thanks to ALL that have brought the coaches coffee, breakfast snacks and lunches the past few weeks to show how much we appreciate all they do for our swimmers. We will continue to do this again this week. There are a few sign ups available. Click HERE to sign up!
COACHES CORNER: Great meet on Saturday at Crow Canyon! We had a lot of great swims and several close finishes. The point difference was only 31 points and we plan to make that up this weekend at VSA Champs. VSA Champs will be an exciting meet and very close between HOX, Crow and Round Hill and every swim will count. The forecast is expecting high temperatures this weekend and weekend so please have everyone rest inside and keep drinking fluids to stay hydrated.
As stated above, we will begin tapering this week (cutting back on our volume during practice) and spending a lot of time working on fine tuning each component of each race. I love this time of season and with the volume tapering back you may notice an increased amount of energy from the swimmers. We will not have dry-land at all this week and will only be using fins if any equipment. One of the special things we do during taper week is have each group stretch and visualize each morning before entering the water for practice (20 minutes). This helps get the swimmers excited for their races and in the best mind frame. Have them wear a sweatshirt to practice in the morning but with the increased temperature the air should be just right.
VSA CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE MEET: The League Meet will take place this weekend - July 27th and 28th at Dougherty Valley High School, beginning promptly at 8:30am both days. Please check the League Meet info page on the website throughout the week for details. Here are some initial information:
- Relays: We entered relays for the league to have A, B, C relays listed. The names right now are not final, and we will finalize the Medley relays early this week and have them posted. The Free Relays will be finalized on Saturday evening, July 27th, to allow each swimmer swimming Freestyle an opportunity to make the Free Relay. We will be practicing relay exchanges during practice for all swimmers so everyone is prepared if entered in a relay.
League Meet Programs will be for sale for $10 each beginning the evening of, Friday, July 26th. More information on location will be available in the additional email that will be sent later this week.
A special CONGRATULATIONS to all the swimmers that have broken pool records this season. We will publish all of these amazing accomplishments in next week's Heat Sheet. Until then, take a look at the Record Board that is in the breezeway down by the aquatic office to see these accomplishments! Congrats again!
Swimmers of the Week: Look for these superstars in their special caps and click here to view our swimmers of the week so far this season!
Meet results are available on the website, click here to view!
"No Breather Club!" is for swimmers 8 and under who swim a "no breather" in 25 yard freestyle or butterfly at a swim meet! Please complete the attached Google Doc with details when this is accomplished. T he "No Breather" Ice Cream Social will be Tuesday, July 30th at 11:30am.
SPIRIT: Spirit Week begins TODAY!! Here are a few details to help you prepare for this fun week!
Monday, 7/22: Pool games!
- Pancake Breakfast on the pool deck from 9am-noon! (FREE, unlimited pancakes).
- Poster making. Grab your friends and create FUN spirit posters!
Wednesday, 7/24: It's Spirit Night! Call the club to RSVP NOW for our Pasta Feed on the pool deck! All reservations must be made by Monday, July 22nd. Cost: $25 (inclusive) for Adults and Children 13 & over, $15 (inclusive) for Children 5-12 years old, Children under 5 are Complimentary! No Host-Bar.
- Come cheer on our Hot Shots ( dorable 3-5 year olds!!!) at 5:30! This one-lap race will be immediately followed by a swim team Pasta Feed, Talent performance by a variety of acts! Call club reception to make your reservation TODAY!
- Click here to sign up for Family Boat Races! Start building your cardboard boats at home this weekend! Only cardboard and duck tape allowed! Never fear, after the race, we'll dispose of soggy boats. Which family will win??
Thursday, 7/25: Pool games - THE HEAT 500! is ON! What's THE HEAT 500, you ask? Come to practice on Thursday to find out!
Friday, 7/26: Get your spirit ON, literally!
- During Friday's practice, we'll have hair braiding and HEAT Tattoos! Our vendor will be at the pool beginning at 9am. CASH ONLY PLEASE.
- Decorate your car! Pink markers and flamingo stencils will be available for car decorating during swim practice on Friday. For those that can't make it during practice, swing by the Schroeder's house (120 Valley Oaks Drive) between 5-6pm and we'll decorate your car for you!
- Also, if have U8 swimmers attending League, be sure to check your doorstep Friday night / first thing Saturday morning for a gift from the SWIM FAIRIES!
Contra Costa Championship Meet: Congratulations to the 69 Heat county qualifiers thus far, we hope to add to this number in the coming week! Additional emails will be sent to participating families with specifics on the meet and events.
- Relays: We will be sending multiple relays to the Contra Costa County Swim Meet. Some swimmers are invited to be in a relay at the County Swim Meet, even if they have not qualified for County in an individual event. Please be sure to sign your swimmer IN or OUT of the Contra Costa County Swim Meet listed under "Swim Meets" on the home page ASAP so the coaches know who is available to attend. Please remember that all relay trials will be held on Friday, August 10th starting at 4:00pm,. All individual events and relay finals will be held as past years on Saturday and Sunday.
- Individual Entries: Coach Brian would like for your swimmer(s) to have an input into the events in which they are entered at County. Entries are due Monday, July 29th and so we will begin collecting their input this week and finalizing during VSA this weekend. Please note that you need to be signed IN on our team website to be entered into the County meet.
- Save the date!
calendars.. more details to come.
- Pre-County Pasta Feed - Thursday, August 1st at 5:00pm . It is tradition for the team to get together, share a meal, and get pumped for County!
- Post-County Pool Party - Sunday, August 4th after the meet we will be celebrating a great season and County Championship with a Pool Party.
- Please see the County Information tab under "Meet Info" on our website for additional information.
- If you have swimmers that have qualified for County, please sign them in/out of the meet ASAP.
- County Practice Schedule begins on Monday, July 29th. To view the practice schedule for that week please click here.
PHOTOS: Great photos of our swimmers are being posted on the team's instagram account. If you have an instagram account please follow us @roundhillswimteam! Also, check out our team SmugMug account for access to some amazing photos! Click here to access our smugmug account. Password is teamheat. It will get you excited for our slideshow at our end of season celebration! If you have photos to contribute, stay tuned for information on how to submit them!