August 1, 2019
2019/2020 Fall/Winter Screening Days
At Academy: September 3, 4 & 5 (Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday) from 5:30-6:45 p.m. each night
At St. Charles: September 4 (Wednesday) & September 6 (Friday) from 5:45-7:00 p.m., & September 7 (Saturday) from 9:45-11:00 a.m.
Please go to the pool that is your preference for locations for the season but note that you may go to tryouts at EITHER pool regardless of which pool will end up being your base pool if that better fits your schedule.
There is no cost for this.
NOTE: All athletes should report for as many of these screening days as possible even if they had come to our July screening dates earlier. These September screening dates will allow us to ensure we properly place athletes in their appropriate level, will allow new families to become familiar with the facilities, will allow athletes to become familiar with the staff, will allow athletes to become familiar with our practice routine and more. Remember, athletes are not trying out for our team but rather are trying US (GCSTO) out to determine the quality of that which we provide and if that is what they and their families are looking for in a program.
WHAT TO BRING: Suit, cap (if you wear one), goggles, towel, water bottle & dry land clothing (shorts, shirt & tennis shoes).
NEW PARENTS MEETINGS: Coach Nye will host a parent meeting from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m. at the Columbus Academy on Tuesday, September 3 & again on Thursday, September 5 at the same time. At St. Charles, this parent meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 4 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
We highly encourage all new families to get a representative to one of these meetings. He will have a presentation for the parents concerning what they can expect throughout the season and will discuss many aspects of the team. Once the presentation is done there will be an open question and answer session. If you need to go to the other pool (not the pool you plan on having as your home base for the season) to ensure that you make the meeting please do so. You may also bring your athlete if you'd like so that they can participate in the screening day there.
Who Is This For
This is for brand new swimmers trying out for GCSTO, only.
Past GCSTO team members from fall/winter 2018/2019, spring 2019 or summer 2019 should not be coming to these tryouts as you have automatic acceptance back onto the team for the fall and will start the season in the level it was that you ended up in at your final point with us unless otherwise directed by your coach to move on to the next level. If you were with us prior to the fall of 2018 and want to come in for a screening so that you know which level your athlete would be this year please feel free to do so.
Athletes will need to be registered online as a TRIAL swimmer with us to take advantage of these tryout screenings. As soon as the registration portal opens we will make that link live here.
The Columbus Academy Pool is located at 4300 Cherry Bottom Road in Gahanna and is an indoor pool. DRIVE SLOW into the facility and into the parking lot please! You are to park on the east (baseball field) side of the facility, only in any of those 3 lots on that side. Simply walk down the courtyard bearing to the right under the covered walkway and into the set of glassed double doors there at the end of the walkway. Enter into the first set of double-doors on your right and walk up into the balcony.
The St. Charles Preparatory School's Pool is located at 2010 East Broad Street in Bexley. Park in the lot closest to Clifton (which is the one furthest from Broad Street). Enter the double-doors on the left facing the parking lot of that athletic facility. Once inside, enter into the first set of wood double-doors on your left and walk on into the pool area.
Guests & Spectators
Parents & guests are welcomed and encouraged to come on into watch. We actually ask that an adult representative of new families stay there the entire time during tryouts in the event of emergency.
What To Expect
· Athletes should have a swim suit, goggles, cap (if they have longer hair) and a towel. Water bottles are optional that night but should be brought to normal practices.
· Make sure that they are dressed appropriately for traveling between the pool and parking lot. Pants, shirt, shoes are needed.
· There are locker room facilities there for changing before and after practice.
· Athletes should check in with a staff member upon arrival to the pool then can be seated in the lower bleacher area at St. Charles or on a bench in the pool at Academy.
· The athletes will start the night with some basic pre-practice movements/exercises before getting into the pool.
· They will then go briefly over some safety issues to help ensure they understand these before getting into the pool.
· Once in the pool we will simply run the athletes through a simple basic practice to help us determine their current skill level. They need to remember that everyone there will be new to the routine so they shouldn’t feel alone. There will work on kicking, on swimming, on push-offs, on turns, on finishes and such in all 4 strokes. Nothing will be too tough on anyone as this is truly an assessment.
· We will simply look to see what technical skills they have, what their training background looks like, how well they listen and how they work to utilize the instructions of the staff.
· After about 60 min in the pool we will get the athletes out and discuss their placement within our program with the athlete and their parents. Some may be Swim School level while others may be Novice, Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3 within our program (simply put these are the names of the levels within our program as an athlete’s skill level advances).
· Athletes may then get dressed to leave after this.
· Athletes need to remember that WE are truly the ones “trying out” that night. The athletes get to try US out to see if WE are good enough for THEM (if they like the coaches, like the instruction, like the pool, etc.).
The week of Sept. 3-7 is considered the first week of your swimmer's 2 week trial period so we suggest that they come to as many of these days as possible (up to 3 maximum). At the end of this week you will be told your level to start up with us on the team and then you will come in a second week (the week of Sept. 9) on your level's schedule as your 2nd week of trial. If your athlete somehow misses these screening nights whether it be due to sickness, other activities or being out of town they can STILL join our team for a 2 week trial if room still exists on the team. Simply contact coach Nye and we will arrange getting that started for them once they are able to do so.
· We will have a parent’s meeting 3 nights that week per the schedule listed above to help try and answer questions for you all. We’ll try to keep the meeting down to about 30-40 minutes so you have time to watch you athletes in the pool. Please bring THIS OUTLINE & a writing utensil if you would.
· Please bring any questions you might have written down to the pool that night and we will answer those if not already covered in our presentation.
Steve Nye and the Entire GCSTO Coaching Staff