September 23, 2019
KISU wins Swim BC Club of the Year!
Congratulations to all our members who helped to make this possible! Here's the list of accomplishments that were read out when KISU received the Club of the Year on the weekend. It truly takes the WHOLE club to accomplish this - Well done everyone. Let's keep it going!!
KISU excelled in the following areas:
Swimmer Development and Performance
- 4th place overall at Canadian Junior Championships; top 5 BC scoring club Senior Nationals and Canadian Trials
- Place two swimmers on the Canadian World Jr Team
- Multiple swimmers placed on BC ID; Prospects and Para Prospects West Teams
- Placed a swimmer on the Canadian Parapan Am team
- Top 10 Provincial champ scoring
- Top 10 in BC, in swimmer retention (year over year)
Support of Coaching Excellence
- Head coach Tina Hoeben participated in Swim BC mentoring programming; selected to Swimming Canada select coaching group and Women in Coaching group
- Head Coach (Tina) organized and led BCSCA Women in Coaching luncheon
- KISU coaching staff attendance at all Swim BC camps and development opportunities
- All KISU coaches are compliant with Swim BC and Swimming Canada coach registration certification requirements
The Club exhibits a strong community profile and involvement
Support and Encouragement of Volunteerism
- Officials registration and engagement at a provincial high level (over 160 registered officials)
- Officials director active and involved at the provincial level
- Effective official’s succession planning
- Strong history of administrative leadership (past president Swim BC Volunteer of the Year award and Sport BC Presidents award recipient
This week all members will receive email billing summaries of your accounts. Billing summaries will be sent out every month in the last week of the month throughout the season. This is to allow members to review their monthly statement and note the amount of your payment to be processed on the first of the month.
It is for information purposes only. Payment details are already on file and the payment will automatically process to your card added at registration on the 1stof the following month. No action is required on your part.
Account charges can be viewed at any time by logging in to our account clicking on: MY ACCOUNTàMY INVOICE/PAYMENTàCURRENT INVOICE SUMMARY
If you have any questions about the charges on your account after reviewing your statement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swimming Canada Registration:
All members should have received an email from Swimming Canada in the last couple of days. Please confirm your swimmer’s details ASAP. Your swimmers are not completely registered until account details are confirmed. If you notice any errors, please email email@example.com the correct info.
Upcoming Meets and Events:
Mike Flegel is Coming to KISU! Sept 25th-27th 4:00-5:00pm Room TBA.
Mike is the former Swim BC Provincial Coach. He has years of experience improving the speed of swimmers in BC by running technical camps. We are very excited to have him come to KISU and work directly with our swimmers and parents.
He will be working with swimmers on Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 25 and 26. On Friday, during Team Practice, he will have a Parent Talk. Mike did Parent Talks at all the Provincial Championships. They are intended for parents of all ages of swimmers.
September Team Practice: September 27th
Age Group, Intermediates and Swim Academy: 3:30-5:30
Mini Squad, Juniors, Super Juniors: 4:00-5:30
This is our first Team Practice of the season!! Team Practice is held on the last Friday of the month. It is a great opportunity to have some hard work and fun in the pool. Although each month has a different activity, we often have peer teaching so there is some team bonding and interaction between our younger and older swimmers.
Annual Team Aquatics Sale: Sept 28th10-3pm Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna.
TAS is offering 20% off everything!!! Great opportunity to get the gear for the upcoming season or if you just need to get a new suit!
Turkey Time Trial: October 12th, Registration Deadline Oct 10th
We will be hosting a time trial in October for all interested members of the club in juniors and up. The time trial will run during our Saturday morning practice. We will run four events - 25 free, back, fly and breast. Please plan on swimming all four events.
7am Warm up, 7:30am Time Trial starts, 9am finish time.
Racing will be four 25m races and perhaps a relay if there is time. This is not a sanctioned event.
We will need timers and stroke and turn officials, as well as help with set up and clean up.
The time trial is free for those families with parents volunteering. $10/swimmer without volunteers.
THERE WILL BE NO SIGN UP ON THE DAY. PLEASE sign up in advance. Deadline is Oct. 10th.
KISU October Jamboree: Oct 20th Sign up Deadline Sept 30th
This will be our first Home Jamboree of the season. It will follow after the conclusion of the Pentathlon.
Please see meet info below for more information.
Session Time: Sunday October 20, 2019
Warm Up: 1:30-2:05 pm
Start: 2:15 pm
Projected Finish: 6pm
Cost: $20 per swimmer with volunteer commitment
Location: Penticton Community Centre, 325 Power Street
Pool: 10 lanes x 25m competition pool
Colorado Timing System
- All events will be run as mixed gender and open seeded.
- Results will be separated by gender and age groups (as shown in “Eligibility”).
- All events will be timed finals.
- Swimmers having no times will be placed in the slowest heat.
Volunteers are needed to run this meet. Please sign up via the ‘Job Sign up’ tab on the home page. Job Sign up Deadline: Friday October 11th
KISU Triple Pentathlon: Oct. 18th-20th Sign up Deadline Sept 30th
Main Meet - requires sub4min for 200 IM time.
Registration Deadline: Friday, Sept. 30 (start the year off right by registering RIGHT NOW). Late registrations might be accepted but are subject to a $10 late fee.
Location: Penticton Community Centre
Warm ups: Friday - 3 pm (everyone) Saturday - 7:30 am for 12&U, 1:30 pm for 13&O Sunday - 7:30 am (everyone). Swimmers should be there 15 minutes early for stretching.
Meet format: Timed Finals. Swimmers will be combined age groups for heats but separated for results.
Entries: Swimmers will swim all the events with some exceptions for younger swimmers in the longer events. Entries will be posted on the website prior to the meet.
Entry Costs: $30, when the club's volunteer policy commitment is fulfilled.
(Please see document below for more detailed information.)
· Friday – 100s of all the strokes, plus 200 IM.
· Saturday – 200s of all the strokes, plus 400 IM.
· Sunday – 50s of all the strokes, plus 100 IM.
Coaches' Editorial: This is our home meet. ALL KISU swimmers (sub4 for 200 IM) should be there! Meet information and entries is posted in the link below.
Volunteering at the Meet
Job Sign up Deadline: Friday October 11th
· Swim meets are a MAJOR fundraiser for our club, and as such, all parents are needed and required to help out. The funds raised benefit each and every KISU swimmer! Swim meets are completely run by volunteers. The club makes money by charging entry fees for the swimmers to compete in the events. This meet charges swimmers from every other club $6 per event . . . $90 to swim the 15 events of the weekend. KISU swimmers get to participate for only $30 (and this includes dinner on Friday night) as a way of saying thank you to the parents for their volunteer time.
· Each family is required to provide one adult volunteer for the equivalent of one session on each day of the swim meet for which they have one or more swimmers registered.
· A penalty of $25 will be applied to the account of the swimmer(s) per session where the appropriate number of volunteers is not provided. The volunteer must be registered for their commitment through the club website by the stated deadline. The penalty will be stated as part of the event description.
· Volunteers must be a minimum of 16-years old. Volunteers do not have to be members of the family. Children less than 16 years of age are welcome to volunteer but do not fulfill the requirement of an adult volunteer.
· Volunteers will be assigned roles by the Volunteer Coordinator. Roles will be assigned based on the experience of the volunteer. Volunteers will be assigned to different roles in order to develop the knowledge and experience of our volunteer pool. You may be assigned multiple roles in a single session. (i.e. meet heat sheet sales and timing, or timing and ribbons etc.)
· To sign up, click the Job Sign Up icon. There will be 4 sessions over the three-day meet.
KISU AGM (and October team practice, yes in November…):
When: Friday November 1st, 4:30-5:30
Where: Penticton Community Centre Meeting Room TBA
Please remember that this meeting is for ALL club members, mini squad parents through to Academy.We encourage everyone to attend, as our attendance is recorded in our gaming grant reports and affects the decisions for how much grant money the club receives each year.
Our goal is to be finished by the time swimmers are out of their practice.
Positions up for nomination this Season:
3 Member at Large positions
7 Reasons Every Swimmer Should go to Swim Meets
We are looking for volunteers to fill the key positions below for the upcoming season:
Travel Manager:Takes care of Coach accommodation bookings as well as team travel arrangement for the season.
Sponsorship and Fundraising: Contacts existing sponsors to secure donations for the following season. (this is in the works for next season). Actively recruits new sponsors throughout the season.
If you are interested in taking on any of the above positions, please contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you need some new KISU gear? Contact our equipment manager Simone Peters at email@example.com to order swimsuits, caps, goggles and flip flops! Looking for other items, visit the Team Aquatic Website at www.team-aquatic.com and enter the discount code ‘KIS395’ at checkout to receive the team discount. Or present a copy of the shark card at retail stores.
FACEBOOK: KISU SWIM CLUB
Join our Facebook page for exciting and important information about KISU!
Do you have a question- Contact us!
Head Coach: Tina Hoeben, firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-486-4286
Administrator: Amy Wall, email@example.com, 250-490-7452