Last Night's Parent Meeting Info
September 26, 2019
Thank you to everyone that was able to come last night. We had a good turnout but I know many that were not able to be there. Here is what was discussed and some reminders for those that did attend:
- Short Course Registration: This is our biggest season in many many years. We have 135 swimmers already registered with a few more on their way after Fall sports end.
- Meet Schedule: The full meet schedule can be found in the News
section of our wesbite and all meets open for registration are
found in the center Swim Meet section. Please click on each
meet to see the vaious deadlines for registration. Our
October MAC meet's deadline in tomorrow!!!
- To register for meet: click on Attend/Decline button, use drop down menu to choose yes or no and then on the next screen scroll to bottom and choose which sessions your child can swim. If you are unsure which sessions you want to attend, you can click on the session name and it will pull up all of the events in that session. You can sign up for both days or just one, whichever you want. I suggest that if you are only signing up for one day of a meet, also add this to the Notes section so that the coaches are sure to see. If you need to change your registration for any reason you can go back in and edit as long as the deadline has not passed.
- Once you have registered for a meet and the deadline has passed your child is officially registered for that meet. Meets have something called splash fees which are a per event charge that the hosting team charges each swimmer. This is usually between $8-10 per event. Coaches tend to register a swimmer for 3-4 events per day to give you an idea of what a meet might cost. You will receive an invoice for these splash fees shortly after the meet which must be paid promptly. If for any reason your child cannot swim in the meet, please inform Coach Mike immediately so we are not looking for your child on deck on the day of the meet. You will still unfortunately be charged your child's splash fees because ARAC is required to pay these fees up front to the hosting team.
- You must pay close attention to the time your swimmer needs to be on deck. In the meet annoucement in our Meets tab we have listed what time warm-ups start and what time the actual events start. You swimmer is required to be on deck 15 minutes before warm-ups ready to swim. Please do not show up at that time with a swimsuit in their backpack.
- What to pack for meets: new team swim suit (all returning swimmers-we are asking everyone to wear their 2019-2020 team suit), a team swim cap, goggles (bring an extra pair), a couple of towels, a mixture of clothing as it can sometime be hot and sometimes cold on deck, healthy snacks and water!!!
- There is a NO ELECTRONICS rule on deck at meets!!!! (this includes all phones, ipods, ipads, game devices). We want your children interacting with their teammates and cheering them on.
- All teams are required to provide timers for meets. Coach Mike usually is provided the # of timer assignments ARAC has on Monday or Tuesday of a meet week. As soon as he is provided that information he will send out an email to everyone registered for the meet and ask for volunteers first. If there are still holes, he will begin to assign parents to time. We keep a spreadsheet of who has timed at previous meets that season to assure that all parents are helping. Mike will then send out a finalized schedule of timers. It is your responsibility to check your email (sometimes as late as Friday afternoon) to see if you have to time. If you do not show up to a timing assignment, you will be be charged a $50 penalty to your account. If you know that a specific meet might be difficult for you to time at please let Mike know that when the initial email goes out.
- ARAC will be having their Black and Gold meet in Monday, October 28th from 6-8:30pm instead of regular practice. This is a intramural swim meet with only ARAC swimmers. Your swimmers get to experience what a real meet might look like and and get to swim against their friends. If you have enough volunteers, we will also be having a seniors vs. coaches vs. swim parents relay event. Please let me know if you are interested in competing and what stokes you would be willing to swim. Last year we have 4 brave souls take on the coaches and seniors and did amazing!! After more thought, we decided to have you sign up for this meet but there is no cost to participate. This will just make it easier for us to plan for how many swimmers will be swimming. The coaches will add this to the list of meets in the next few days.
- ARAC Mic Dev Classic will be November 23-25. Hosting a meet is a huge undertaking and we need all hands on deck!!! We will be having a mandatory parents planning meeting on Wednesday, October 23rd at 6:40pm.
- METRO SWIM: Most of you either already have your swimmer's new
team suit or at least have been sized and are waiting for the next
shipment to come in. If your swimmers was not sized yet, I
need you child's swimsuit size immediately. Remember
these team suits are included in this years training fees and MUST
be worn to meets this season. Additional suits, backpacks and
parkas can be ordered on our MetroSwim Portal.
Team Id. -84933
Team Name- Amity Regional Aquatic Club
Team URL- https://www.metroswimshop.com/aracctlsc/
- Team Spiritwear: We have finished picking and designing our season's spiritwear and we should have order forms and a size run in the next week or so. I will email again when I have it.
- Speedo: In other excited news, we are not officially sponsored by Speedo. With this comes some great perks and discounts for the team! We look forward to a long relationship with Speedo.
- Fundraising: We have planned some great fundrasing events
- Penny Wars in returning for the month of November. More details to follow!
- Our 2nd annual Swim-a-thon will be happening in February. More details to follow!
- FlipGive is a great way to give back to ARAC without any effort. FlipGive is a website similar to Ebates where you shop online just as you always have but a small percentages of your purchased is given back to the team. It is super easy and with the holidays right around the corner and fun and easy way to earn some cash for the team. Copy this link into your web browser to get started. https://www.flipgive.com/f/825267
- What do we do with your fundraising $$$
- This past year much of our extra $$ went to paying extra pool rental fees while the Orange pool was being remodeled.
- We bought a ton of new exciting dry-lands equipment for our senior program.
- We bought a state of the art digital pace clock for on deck
- We bought a Finis swim wall so that our littliest swimmers could learn in smaller groups and with less distance. The wall is able to divide one of our lanes into two half lanes provided more swimmer space for the younger kids.
- We bought backstroke start wedges so that our swimmers will know how to use them for those big meets at largest facilities
- We will be purchasing a few new lane lines for the pool.
- We hosted a huge pancake breakfast a few weeks ago and will be hosting a holiday party in December and a BBQ in June.
- Hopefully I didn't lose you and you are still reading.... one last item. USA Swimming rolled out a Safe Sport Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy this past June. Once you have had a chance to review it, please print and sign the attached MAAPP Parent Acknowledgement Form. You can find the Policy and Form in the Documents Tab of the ARAC website. I will also have blank ones in the hanging cubby next to our ARAC Bulletin Board in the pool lobby. Please return these to the envelope in this same hanging cubby no later than October 1st.