October 6, 2019
FLIGHT PLAN 10/6/2019
Thank you so much to all the families who came out to the Parents Meeting. It was great to meet a lot of you in-person and pass on some important team information for the season. If you did not make it, the Power Point presentation, electronic copy of our Team Handbook, information on Sponsorships, and information on the Cookie Dough fundraiser is all listed under the PARENT RESOURCES tab at the top of our website.
Here are a few items to highlight from the Parents Meeting:
- Email is the primary means of communication to get information out to all families. Please try to check your email at least once per day for information from the JETS.
- Please use your Practice Group Coaches as a first resource when you have questions or concerns. If your Practice Group Coach is unable to assist you, then contact your swimmer’s Lead Site (location) Coach. Here is a list of the Lead Site Coaches contacts:
- THERE ARE NO PARENTS ALLOWED ON-DECK at practice OR meets. This is a safety rule that MUST be followed. As a reminder, all coaches working with the swimmers have passed TWO background checks and they are all Water Safety/Lifeguard, First Aid, AED, and CPR Certified. We also have Lifeguards on duty during all practices.
- As a reminder, all swimmers MUST BE REGISTERED MEMBERS OF THE YMCA in order to be a part of this team, and that member must remain throughout the time your swimmer is on the JETS.
Upcoming Dates to Know:
11 Oct 2019 – NO PRACTICE @ AVERY due to High School Girls’ home meet.
12-13 Oct 2019 – JETS Ghostly Gathering Meet @ Lake Central High School, St. John, IN
14 Oct 2019 – NO PRACTICE ALL GROUPS/ALL LOCATIONS – Columbus Day!
20 Oct 2019 – BIG BUDDY LITTLE BUDDY 2:00-4:00 PM @ A.G. SMITH FAMILY YMCA, JOLIET; more to come on this. Our Senior Swimmers are helping me plan our activities and they are excited to be paired with their little buddies!
27 Oct 2019 – ILVFY Monster Splash, Peru, IL
- Dress in costume for the costume contest and Trick-or-Treating
27 Oct 2019 – USA Swimming Officials Training @ Bradley Bourbonnais Swim Club
31 Oct 2019 – NO PRACTICE ALL LOCATIONS (This is a Family Holiday, so have fun with your family!)
2 Nov 2019 – Feed Our Starving Children – RESCHEDULED TO FRIDAY, DEC 27TH
Head Coach’s Notes
We are off to a great start to the season!
We are now into the competitive portion of our swim season with our participation in the Fox Valley Family Y Kick Off Meet this past weekend. As you’ve already learned, meet information can change the week of the meet, so it’s very important to check with the coaching staff if you do not receive a summary of the meet information by Thursday before the meet.
Swimming is a sport that relies on volunteers, so we are very thankful for all our volunteer families. As a reminder, volunteering to meet your season requirement does not have to be strictly a parent of a swimmer – grandparents, aunts/uncles, high school-age siblings, OR even your own high school JETS swimmer!
The coaching staff will be passing out your swimmers’ team t-shirts this week at practice! We will be wearing the team t-shirt for the team photo in November, so put your swimmers’ name on the tag so it does not get lost.
I hope your cookie dough selling is going well so far! The coaching staff and JPAC also fundraise, and I’m happy to report after one week, I am already at 7 tubs! A couple tips:
- Ask anyone and everyone – even if you think a person won’t buy, still ask them! This gives you an opportunity to sell the sponsorship opportunity, even if they don’t want to buy!
- Utilize social media to get the pictures of the product out! Pictures of the cookies are a big selling point.
- Cookie dough arrives frozen, so just free up some freezer space and hold those tubs until you see relatives at Thanksgiving.
- Don’t forget to be positive and enthusiastic – you may not go gaga over cookie dough, but you can still show your positive enthusiasm toward the JETS!
I realize there are many of you who are probably trying to digest all the information presented at the Parents Meeting. Here are some FAQ’s I’ve received over the past week with their answers:
Does my swimmer need to buy a JETS swim suit?
If you do not want to purchase a JETS suit, you will need to purchase a solid black one piece suit (girls) or jammer/brief (boys). If you did not get to order your suit at the parents meeting, you can go to our team store on our website, and login:
If you have a swimmer in need who cannot purchase a suit, please contact Coach Ashleigh who maintains a stock of gently used JETS suits.
How do I order the caps with the names on them?
Our local vendor, Eich’s is actively working on building a team page for ordering of those caps. An announcement will come out later when that team page is ready!
Who do I contact for Sponsorship?
Coach Heather Barry is the Sponsorship Liaison this season. She will be able to answer your questions about sponsorship levels, payment, and benefits of sponsorship! Please contact Coach Heather via email at email@example.com
What if I have questions about fundraising?
Questions about fundraising can be directed to Christine Cagwin:
Lacie Pifko will also we assisting with Fundraising this season, so you may seek her out at practice with any questions!
Any additional questions can be directed toward your swimmer’s Practice Group Coach. I look forward to seeing most of you this coming weekend at the Ghostly Gathering Meet!