October 16, 2019
Josh Matheny Commits to Indiana University
Class of 2021 National Team Member and 2019 200 Breaststroke World Junior Champion to join long list of great breaststrokers training under Ray Looze at Indiana University
PITTSBURGH, PA, October 16, 2019 – U.S. National Team Member Josh Matheny has committed to attend Indiana University upon his 2021 graduation from Upper St. Clair High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
“I am extremely excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my athletic and academic career at Indiana University. I would like to thank my family, coaches, and friends for their support. Go Hoosiers!” - Josh Matheny
In his most recent competition, the World Junior Championships in Budapest, Hungary, Matheny finished the meet with 2 gold and 2 silver medals:
- 200-meter breaststroke, 1st, 2:09.40 – 15-16 NAG and World Junior Championship Record;
- 400-meter Mixed Medley Relay, 1st and Junior World Record; 59.31 split;
- 100-meter breaststroke, 2nd, lowering his 15-16 NAG to 1:00.17;
- Men’s 400-meter Medley Relay, 2nd, 59.55 split.
Matheny’s coach at Pittsburgh Elite Aquatics and Upper St. Clair High School, Dave Schraven, is excited about his decision to attend Indiana University. “Coach Looze and his staff have an unparalleled history of success with their breaststroke group, including World Record holder Lilly King, Olympic medalist Cody Miller and American record holder Ian Finnerty. Josh has very lofty goals he’d like to achieve during his swimming career, and I believe Indiana is the best place for him to pursue those goals after he graduates from high school in 2021.”
In addition to his recent success at the World Junior competition, here are some of Matheny’s most recent achievements:
- 3rd Place at 2019 U.S. Summer Nationals in the 200-meter breaststroke in a then 15-16 National Age Group record time of 2:11.02;
- 12th Place at 2019 U.S. Summer Nationals in the 100-meter breaststroke in a time of 1:00.91;
- USA Swimming 2018 Junior Nationals East Champion in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke
- USA Swimming 2018 Long Course Junior Nationals – 1st place 100-meter breaststroke; 2nd place 200-meter breaststroke
- Two-time WPIAL/PIAA champion, 100-yard Breaststroke
- National Federation of High Schools Record time of 52.52 in the 100-yard breaststroke
- NISCA and USA Swimming Scholastic All-American honors.
A current junior at Upper St Clair High School, Josh resides in Upper St. Clair, PA with his parents Jeff and Kristin Matheny; he has two older sisters Megan and Abby. He swims club year-round for Pittsburgh Elite Aquatics and swims high school for Upper St. Clair.