October 29, 2019
Welcome Coach Nolan Morrell!!!
Coach Nolan comes to STAS from Portneuf Valley Swim Team/Pocatello, ID where he was the head coach since June of 2016. While working on his Master’s Degree at Idaho State, he was tasked with the responsibility to rebuild relationships between the swim team and the community members at Idaho State, as well as the Community Rec Center. During his time at Portneuf Valley Swim, he restructured groups, modernized training, and collaborated with the parent board. During his tenure he led swimmers to the highest percentage best times at LSC championships in 2017 and 2018.
Prior to his stop in Idaho, Coach Morrell attended University of Tennessee, Knoxville, where he was a 13x All American. He has a Bachelor of Science in Education and Sport Management with a minor in Business Administration. While working on his undergraduate degree at Tennessee, Coach Nolan worked with various summer recreational swim programs and high school programs, has experience as a certified personal trainer, and established a new water polo program in the Knoxville area. Shortly after graduation he took the head coach Position at Prime Aquatics in Maryville, TN, from 2010 until he left to pursue his Master’s Degree in Pocatello in 2016, he will be completing his degree this winter in Physical Education - Athletic Administration.
During his tenure at Prime Aquatics, he helped the program grow from 60 to over 100 athletes in six years. Some of the team accomplishments include:
- Maryville High School's first ever swimming state champion
- 2 USA Senior National qualifiers
- Multiple USA Swimming and NCSA Junior National qualifiers
- 3 high school All-Americans
- The 2015 short-course and long-course 13-14 boys' Southeastern championships
As a Student Athlete at the University of Tennessee Coach Morrell achieved quite a bit of success:
- All-American at the University of Tennessee (13 Times)
- Olympic Trials qualifier and competitor (2008)
- Vol Scholar (2008, 2009) Awarded to students with exemplary academic record/GPA & test scores
- First Team All-SEC (2008)
- National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association Swimmer of the Year (2005)
- #1 nationally IMX ranking for 18 boys (2005)
Coach Nolan is very interested in the area of sports psychology, especially how it relates to parents of athletes. In addition, he has done some research on group visualization and mental training and hopes to use these techniques with STAS. He believes the following greatly contribute to success:
- Showing up every day
- Master your craft
We expect Coach Nolan to begin his tenure as the STAS head coach on or around Monday November 4th as he is hastily making the move here.
We will be scheduling a meet and greet shortly once the details can be locked down.
Thank you all for your patience during this time while the search for a new coaching staff was conducted. Special thanks to Coach Maxx and Coach Hannah for stepping up and helping coach with STAS.
Thank you for being on our team!