December 2, 2019
NEWS ALERT: Due to a school closure at North Farmington this evening, there will be NO PRACTICE for Gold and Senior this evening. If you can get your kids can get to the YMCA after school today, here is the practice for GOLD and SENIOR:
Now on to our regularly scheduled newsletter....
Happy December, Stingrays!
We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We had a successful Skills and Skillets day on Sunday. It was lots of fun in the pool and lots of food on the table! Thanks to all of our Senior and National Team parents for volunteering their time (and cooking supplies) to host this annual event.
This is a big week, Stingray Families! Our FFYS Holiday Invitational is THIS WEEKEND, and there are a bunch of things to note (please read this email carefully):
- The meet this weekend will be held at Waterford Kettering High School (2800 Kettering Drive, Waterford, Michigan 48329).
- NEW THIS YEAR: (pay attention, people) VOLUNTEERS MUST check in to receive your name tag and your volunteer shirt. You have the option of purchasing your volunteer shirt (to keep for future use!) for $10 each, OR you can return the volunteer shirt at the end of the meet. If you do not return the shirt at the end of the meet to the volunteer desk, your TeamUnify online account will be charged for the shirt.
- We are still in need of the following
positions (and you can sign up
- Saturday morning: CONCESSIONS
- Saturday afternoon: CONCESSIONS, TIMERS
- Sunday morning: CONCESSIONS, TIMERS
- Sunday afternoon: CONCESSIONS, TIMERS
- Even if you’ve already filled your two positions, we would LOVE your help to fill these additional positions!
- Please keep in mind that we may need to shuffle volunteers around if we can't fill all of these spots outright.
- MORNING SESSION
- Saturday/Sunday morning warmups are at 7:30am. Swimmers should be at the pool by 7:15am so that they’re ready to dive in for warmups at 7:30am.
- If you have volunteered to work Admissions, Concessions, Security, or Volunteer Check-In on Saturday or Sunday Morning, you must arrive no later than 7:00am.
- All other positions should arrive by 7:30am when your swimmer begins warmup.
- AFTERNOON SESSION
- Saturday/Sunday morning warmups are at 12:00pm. Swimmers should be at the pool by 11:45am so that they’re ready to dive in for warmups at 12:00pm.
- If you have volunteered to work Admissions, Concessions, Security, or Volunteer Check-In on Saturday or Sunday Afternoon, you must arrive no later than 11:45am.
- All other positions should arrive by 12:00pm when your swimmer begins warmup.
If your swimmer happens to have a lovely singing voice and is interested in singing our National Anthem at the FFYS Holiday Invitational, please contact our super awesome Meet Director, Mark D’Errico!
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT NEWS for this week:
- We have normal practice this week except for TONIGHT cuz see above and don’t make me retype stuff.
- FFYS Championship season apparel will be showcased at the FFYS Meet next weekend for SIZING ONLY (ordering will be later online)! Be sure to stop by the merchandise vendor to check it out during the meet!
- SAV E THE DATE – our Team Holiday Bowling Party will be held on Wednesday evening, December 18 at Zap Zone in Farmington Hills. Details and signup to follow later this week!
- The FFYS Holiday Invitational will be the last chance to achieve INDY cuts! The INDY Circle City Classic Meet is LIVE in the system and you can sign up here! Hotel info is found here! This is a USA Meet with minimum qualifying time standards.
And…the most exciting news…the Swimmer of the Week Award!
Miniray – Eva Littleton
Bronze – Zoe Seals
Silver – Isabelle LaPorte
Gold – Mark Holdridge
Senior – Erin Sanders
Congratulations to all for their great efforts and attitudes all week long! Keep it up!
This week in the pool:
Bronze and mini
rays will work on starts, turns, and finishes. We will
emphasize freestyle and backstroke flip turns in mini rays and IM
exchanges and open turns in bronze. Friday practice will be devoted
to fine-tuning – no need to skip it to rest for the meet.
Silver group will emphasize fast walls in preparation for our meet this weekend. We will focus on turn, underwater, and breakout combinations, fast finishes, and starts. Test set is 50’s this week. Friday practice will be devoted to fine-tuning – don’t skip!
Senior & Gold Group will prepare for the meet this weekend. We will work on turns, finishes, relay starts and race prep. We will still have a normal schedule with Dryland for Gold on Monday /Wednesday and Dryland for Senior on Tuesday/Thursday. We will also still have test sets on Wednesday.
Have a great week, Stingrays! Fire up Stingray Nation!!!!