Background-image
October NIS Board Meeting Minutes

MCSC BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Tuesday, October 29th, 2019

The meeting was called to order at 6:03 by president, Nathan Hehr.  Nathan Hehr, Lisa Cole, Yvonne Degraw, Amy Halverson, Sara Korthals, Aggi Lien, Matt Murray, and Brian Stroup were present.

Reports

Report from NIS Coaches – In regards to the coaching schedule, it has been going okay.  They have been stretched a little thin this month.  Amy Davison has been coaching most Wednesdays, but was only able to commit to two this month.  Matt and Jeremy have put a plan together which has provided more structure.  Matt has tried reaching out to Hunter Callanan, but they have been playing phone tag.  There are currently 36 registered swimmers plus three or four on two-week trials.  There have been a good number of swimmers attending meets.    The coaches will be working on more technical stuff during the longer break between meets. 

Team Store – Matt set us up on Swim Outlet for gear.  Anybody can order gear at any time including our custom items.  The items will ship straight to the swimmer’s home.  There is free shipping on orders over $49.  Swim caps need to be ordered as a set.  Some of our fundraising money is going towards championship meet caps to give to kids that qualify for those meets.  We will also give kids that register for NIS a cap.  The team has a choice of 8% cash back quarterly or !0% swim outlet store credit. 

Treasurers Report – There is currently $10,130.29 in savings and $12,902.33 in checking. 

Secretary Report – The report is available on the NIS web page.  Lisa made a motion to approve the report with a second from Matt. 

New Business

Try-Us-Out Camp – A couple of new swimmers joined after the camp.  Matt is thinking we might be able to have the camp be a one day only event in the future. 

New Pool News – There have been a couple of meetings.  The board has narrowed it down to two potential plans for the gym/pool design.  One plan costs between 21-26 million dollars for the pool/gym.  The second plan costs about 10 million more to add an indoor track.  Now that it has been narrowed down, they can work on a more exact estimate.  The school board has enough flexibility in the budget to move ahead with the first plan.  The second plan would potentially have to go to a public vote with the additional cost.  The next school board meeting is December 16th.

Christmas Party – The mock meet and pizza party will be held on December 19th

New Outreach Membership Requirements from USA Swimming – USA Swimming says the easiest way to determine swimmers that qualify would be to go off the school’s free/reduced lunch policy. 

Old Business 

Meet Director for Our Home Meet – We will reach out to BLAST for guidance on how to do this. 

New Board Member – We need to work on assigning clear tasks to the current board members.  Matt will send a list to Nathan to get out to the board. 

Co-hosting long course championships with Blast – Matt talked with them and they still haven’t made a decision on their co-host. 

Culver’s Fundraiser – Our next fundraiser at Culver’s will be on Tuesday, January 14th

Pop-up Tents and Lane Lines – We will wait and buy them in the spring.  We will talk with the Park and Rec about purchasing them, so we don’t pay sales tax.   

Next Board Meeting – The next meeting will be on Tuesday, January 14th in conjunction with the Culver’s fundraiser. 

Respectfully Submitted, 

Amy Halverson