2020 Junior Olympics Fact Sheet
January 29, 2020
Junior Olympics (JOs) is the largest age group based water polo tournament in the United States. It is held every summer in alternating locations in California. Junior Olympics brings together the best teams in the nation and is a richly rewarding experience for our athletes.
When and Where -
1. Boys Session - July 18-21, 2020 (Sat - Tues)
2. Girls Session - July 23-26, 2020 (Thurs - Sun)
Both sessions take place in various locations around Stanford and San Jose, California.
Based on our current quotes for airline tickets, hotels, food and van costs, as well as coaching expenses, we expect the cost per athlete to be $1000 - 1250.
The Booster Club will begin sponsorship initiatives in February and have a number of fundraisers in the planning stages. Our goal is to fund at least $500 per athlete.
JOs hosts boys and girls teams from 10 and under (10u) to 18 and under (18u), as well as mixed teams of 10u and 12u. Age is determined by the athlete's age on August 1, 2020.
Duke expects to take an 18u girl's team, as well as a 16u boy's team to this year's tournament.
If athletes outside of these age groups wish to participate, arrangements to join other teams is possible. Please contact Janet for further information.
Athletes competing in JOs with Duke must:
1. Have a gold membership with USA Water Polo (currently $120/year).
2. Be age verified by USA Water Polo (a one-time process of submitting your athlete's birth certificate along with a $5 fee).
3. Have the correct club affiliation.
4. Compete in a regional qualifying tournament like Mountain Zones.
5. Commit to attending JOs by February 13, 2020 by providing a check for $100 to the Duke Booster Club.
Checks will be held securely and will not be cashed until team rosters are finalized (~March/April).
The $100 deposit will go towards 2020 JO team expenses.
If your athlete commits to JOs with Duke, but has to play with another team, the $100 check will be returned to you so that you may pay for your athlete's expenses with that team.
If your athlete commits to JOs with Duke, but we are unable to find a team for your athlete, the $100 check will be returned to you.