February 4, 2020
Welcome to February!
Championship Season is upon us as all our programs move towards the end of our winter season.
Lots of important information before we head into the excitement of the championship season…
- As you may be well aware - there are a
lot of random illnesses roaming around the community right now - if
your athlete is sporting a fever or significant non-productive
cough - please let them stay home. This will
significantly reduce disease transmission.
- Make sure your athletes have their own water bottle for workout
- Remind athletes to wash their hands regularly or at a minimum use hand sanitizer
- Make sure athletes have proper winter attire when leaving workout - especially coats & hats.
- Please make sure to pick up athletes in a timely fashion. Coaches must wait at the end of workout for all athletes to be picked up safely, and we have had a number of coaches having to stay 30-45 minutes after workout for athletes to be picked up. If you are having difficulty with getting to the pool in a timely fashion - please reach out to your parent liaisons to see if you can get connected with a carpool in your area.
- For the remainder of
February - the high school boys begin to use less pool time as the
seasons wrap up at the high school level - if your athlete
typically trains at a high school facility - be on the look out for
early workout times during the month of
- If you want to see a great high school meet but don’t want to wake up at 6a on a Friday morning to get in line to get tickets to high school state - There are two upcoming championships locally - Conference at New Trier on February 15th at noon and Sectionals on February 22nd at Niles North, also at noon.
- Please take the time to take the USA Swimming Safe Sport Training for Parents. We went through it as a staff, and there's a lot of great information about how you can be alert, not just for your child, but for your child's friends as well. CLICK HERE to begin the process. We'd love to get 25% of our parents to take this survey so that we can receive safe sport recognition, and right now we're sitting a little above 4%! If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!
- Thank you to our
volunteers at the Build the Base Meet this last
weekend! We had over 120 families volunteer
over the course of the weekend - an all time high! Raffle winners
are as follows...Prizes are located at the Northfield
- Friday PM - Authentic USA Swimming Hoodie - Radana Safarikova
- Saturday AM - Custom TYR Equipment Bag (Bag, Kickboard, Snorkel) - Joseph Green
- Saturday Midday - Custom TYR Equipment Bag (Bag, Kickboard, Snorkel) - Irina Uskova
- Sunday AM - $50 Team Credit - Va Diep
- Important Upcoming
- February 5th - Technical Suit Fitting at Northfield Campus - 5-7p. No RSVP needed - just drop by - if you aren't sure if you need a tech suit - ask your coach!
- February 9th - 14 U Winter League Games, St. Charles IL
- February 19th - Parent Social at Happ Inn - 7-10p - ALL NTA Adults are welcome - if you've never come before, come hang out now - it's a great chance to chat with coaches and other aquatically related folks - there have been rumors of a drawing or two for some cool prizes and maybe even a team credit! RSVP Online!
- February 21-23 - NSSC Conference Championships at Evanston
- February 28-March 1 - 18U AWP Finals, Regionals at Glenbrook North, Boys HS State at ETHS
- March 2nd - High School Water Polo Season Starts!
- March 5-8 - Senior State at UIC
- March 12-15 - Age Group State in Elkhart, IN & Senior Sectionals in Pleasent Prairie, WI
- March 14 - 14U Water Polo KickOff Clinic - 8-10a; 14U Intersquad Meet 11-1p Both at Winnetka!
- March 16-22 - NCSA Junior Championships in Orlando, FL
- Starting in March - the high
schools (New Trier & Loyola) begin high school water polo
season. We lose a substantial amount of pool
time at those facilities as there are dual genders programmed
through those pools until the end of April. Expect some practice
schedule adjustments, especially for performance groups during
those months to accommodate for that limitation.
- Water Polo workouts at the high schools do change frequently week-to-week as teams (3 per gender) have multiple competitions and earlier workout time may become available. We make every effort to take advantage of those times, and we are working hard with the High School coaches to get as advance notice so that we can look to earlier workout times when possible.
- We will be starting in Centennial around May 9/10th this year, so many of our groups will be moving to long course training earlier than usual
- We will have workouts through March 13 for all athletes - much like we did last year, workouts for athletes who have completed their championship circuit will have more clinic format programming for the month of March. Prime pool time & space after February will be given priority to athletes competing in Age Group State, Senior State, Sectionals & NCSAs.
- The age group team is on Spring
Break (No Workouts) from March 14-March
29th. More information on Schedules will be
posted as we finalize pool time from the high schools over the next
two weeks. Masters will continue to have morning
- Performance (SHP/SP/JP/A10/D7) and Advanced (SA/JA/A9/D6) athletes will return to practice the week of March 30.
- Developmental Athletes (SR/JR/A8/D5/Novice/A4) will return to practice the week of April 6th.
- Registration for the Summer Season
(April-July) will open on February 20th for all age group
programming. Practice Schedules, Pricing and
all other information will be available at that time. There will be
a 3/4 session offering as a one time fee and full season fees will
be divided across two payments.
- The next session (March-May) of Masters Swimming will be invoiced March 1. The summer session (June-August) will be invoiced June 1.
- Group Moves for LCM Season will be communicated by March 2nd. If you have specific concerns regarding your athlete, please reach out to your group coach first.
- Hour of Power/Team Banquet - April 24th - Friday Evening - 430-8p at Winnetka. We are officially 101 days out of the event! Fundraising has officially opened and is accessible from the QR code on your Build the Base Bag Tag or by clicking on the lane line on the top of the team website. More information will be communicated on the day's schedule shortly. If you are interested in getting involved with the event planning, management or cultivating community sponsors - contact Coach Greg at firstname.lastname@example.org
And Lastly - I know it's a song about swimming, and not all of our programming but it's a pretty great song - not really a motivational song, but more on the inspirational side and can probably apply to water polo too. Take 3 minutes. Relax & Enjoy.