March 8, 2020
2020 SNS Short Course Championships
Day 1 Prelims Highlights
* Jordan kicked off the meet for Arden Hills with his 400 IM in
the 3rd race of the morning. He overcame his overwhelming nerves to
drop 10 seconds and move up from 11th to 8th to qualify for Finals
tonight! He also qualified for the 200 Breaststroke final. At the
end of a very busy prelim session of Day 1, Jordan raced the 1000
Free Final, where he dropped 17 seconds to finish 8 seconds under a
Far Westerns cut and earned a 2nd overall finish!
* Ellie dropped a full second in her 200 Breaststroke this morning.
* Charlie crushed his 100 Free to swim a 52 and secure the 9th overall spot in tonight’s finals. He also raced the 1000 Free and finished 4th overall in the 13/14 boys!
* Akim dropped over half a second in the 100 Free to earn a spot in tonight’s Finals.
* Veronica swam 3/3 best times this morning, highlighted by a full second drop in the 100 Free and a 2 second drop in the 200 Breast to move up 14 total spots today.
* Sarah earned 2 second swims tonight by placing into Finals in both the 100 Free and the 200 Breast.
* Myra dropped 1.5 seconds in the 100 Back and moved up 3 spots!
* Max went OFF in his 200 Breast, dropping 12 seconds and moving up 9 spots to qualify 5th for tonight’s Finals.
Day 1 Finals Recap
It was a difficult final session tonight for our crew with a chilling breeze and a setting sun. Champions are able to overcome obstacles and rise to the occasion. Tonight was a learning experience for our swimmers and we welcome a new set of obstacles to overcome tomorrow!
Finals began with Jordan swimming his second 400 IM of the day. He started strong and was ahead of pace but faded towards the end as he neared 2000 yards of competition for the day. He ended up adding from this morning but maintained his 8th place finish.
Next up was Akim in the 100 Free. He added one second from this morning to finish ninth overall.
Right up we had Sarah and Charlie swimming back to back 100 freestyles. Both added fractions from this morning while maintaining their 9th place positions.
Jordan was up once again as we hit the breaststroke portion of finals. I consider Jordan‘s result a “scheduling loss”. His tank was on empty as he swam a [REDACTED] in the 200 Breast. Dinner and then straight to bed for him!
Sarah also participated in the 200 breast where she dropped time from this morning and also moved up a place in finals.
Our last final of the evening belonged to Max in the 200 breast. He added from the morning but still swam the second best time of his life by six seconds.
Day 2 Prelims Highlights
* All 4 of our 11/12 girls (Ellie, Teagan, Myra, Kate) swam best
times in the opening 400 Free Relay. They moved up 3 spots into a
scoring position to finish 8th overall.
* Our 11/12 boys (Spencer, Jordan, Dax, Akim) finished 7th in their 400 Freestyle Relay.
* Our 13/14 boys relay (Noah, Jake, Max, Charlie) finished 6th overall in the 400 Free Relay.
* Charlie placed 3rd for tonight’s Final in the 500 Free.
* Jordan had only 1 race today after his big day yesterday. He qualified 5th for Finals in the 500 Free.
* Lilla rebounded well today after a tough Friday and dropped a second to qualify for the 100 Back final and also earned a spot in tonight’s 50 Free final!
* Akim earned a second swim tonight in the 500 Free and dropped a second in the 100 IM and moved up into the 1st alternate position.
* Sarah qualifies 6th overall for tonight’s 200 Fly final.
* Alex and Max both swam best times in the 100 Breast and both earned positions in Finals as the #9 and #10 seeds. Positions 9-16 were separated by just .3 and Alex & Max out-touched all 6 of the other competitors!
* Our 13/14 boys relay was back at it one more time, earning a 6th place finish in the 200 Medley Relay.
* Our 11/12 girls competed in the 200 Medley Relay, highlighted by Teagan splitting a 27 in her 50 Free!
* Our final race of the day was the 11/12 boys 200 Medley Relay where they raced to a 7th place finish.
Day 2 Finals Recap
Tonight‘s finals brought better weather than the daunting forecast predicted. We qualified seven swimmers for finals tonight, with five able to return to swim.
The first race of the evening was the 11-12 boys 500 free with both Jordan and Akim racing. Akim dropped 10 seconds from this morning to earn a lifetime best while also moving up a spot into 9th Place. Jordan dropped six seconds from the morning and maintained his 5th place finish.
Charlie raced his second 500 free of the day next and earned a 7th place finish.
It was Lilla’s turn to race her first ever final in USA Swimming. She crushed it by dropping two seconds in her 100 backstroke to finish 8th.
Sarah battled through a grueling 200 Fly to finish 9th.
Lilla swam the last final of the evening - the 50 Free. She finished 6th and dropped more than half a second from her morning swim.
Through 2 days of the meet, we have already surpassed last years point total. One more day left, let’s go Arden Hills!
Day 3 Prelims Highlights
* Kate and Ellie swam side-by-side in the 500 free and pushed
each other to achieve best times!
* Lilla dropped 6 seconds to place 6th in the 500 Free final this morning. 10&Unders race it as a timed final.
* Max dropped over 4 seconds in the 200 IM and over 1 second in his 50 Free!
* Jordan qualified for tonight’s 200 Free final. He also dropped 1 minute and 15 seconds (?!) in the 1650 Free to finish 2nd and earn his 2nd silver medal of the meet.
* Veronica qualified for the 50 Free final and also dropped a second in the 100 fly.
* Akim swam a best time in the 200 Free and qualified 6th for Finals.
* Charlie earned a silver medal in the relentless 1650 Free!
* Spencer dropped a half second in his 50 Free.
* Sarah qualified for 3/3 finals in the 200 IM, 100 Fly and 50 Free!
* Our 11/12 girls (Ellie, Teagan, Kate, Myra) raced to an 11th place finish in the 200 Free relay.
* Spencer, Jordan, Dax, Akim finished 7th in the 11/12 boys 200 Free relay!
* Noah, Jake, Max, Spencer finished 4th in the 13/14 boys 200 Free relay!
* Bradley made the trek to Vacaville to bring his spirit and cheer on his teammates!
Day 3 Finals Recap
It was a quick finals session with just a couple of races for our deservingly tired swimmers.
Sarah opened Finals with her 200 IM. She blasted into the lead and stayed at the front of the pack nearly the whole race. She finished 5th with a new lifetime best, 2:14!
Sarah was up again just 30 minutes later in the 100 Fly. She finished just .05 off her best time in her 12th individual race of the weekend.
Jordan and Akim both competed in the 200 Free Final. Both moved up spots from prelims: Akim to 5th, and Jordan to 8th!
The last final of the meet was shared by Sarah and Veronica in the 50 Free. Both bettered their prelims time to finish 8th and 9th overall, respectively.
Arden Hills finished with 141 points (55 more than last year), had 15 of our 16 swimmers score points, 8 individual swimmers qualify for Finals and overall earned a 3rd place finish! Max and Veronica lead the way with 4 best times each. Our high point winner was Jordan with 31 points and our Ironman was also Jordan who raced 4,650 yards!