JO Championships - COVID 19 Update 5PM

JO Championships - Update

3/11/2020 5 PM
To Ohio Swimming Members and Families,

All of us are disappointed at the postponement of the Junior Olympics this weekend.  This decision was not made by any one person.  It was a decision by our Board of Directors after careful consideration of information from the Governor, the Ohio Department of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and The Ohio State University.  The decision is consistent with actions taken by all of the institutions of higher learning in the state and many institutions of higher learning outside the state.  It is consistent with actions taken throughout the country in other sports.  Part of our decision-making took into account the density of the space and our inability to ensure attendees and swimmers had ample space to spread out. For instance, the entire area can hold 2,500 people, and we were expecting about 2,000. Compared to the OHSAA events, the Schottenstein Center holds thousands but will only be admitting hundreds per game.

Ohio Swimming, Inc. acknowledges that our earlier announcement led to some confusion about the decision-making process, and for that we apologize.

To reiterate, the health and safety of our swimmers, families and entire community is our top concern and we stand by the decision we made and appreciate the support we have received. OSI asks us all to move forward constructively for the development of our athletes and the promotion of our sport.  If you have questions, please contact Ohio Swimming, Inc.

In addition, OSI has corrected a misquote in its earlier communications on the subject.  The corrected notification is attached below.

OSI Board of Directors

(Corrected/updated notification from 3/11/2020 9:00 am)
To Ohio Swimming Members and Families,

Ohio Swimming is disappointed to inform you that due to international, national, and state-wide COVID-19 concerns outside of the control of Ohio Swimming and the Ohio State Swim Club, we will postpone the Short Course Junior Olympic Championships scheduled for March 13-15, 2020. The Board of Directors and Age Group Committees are actively discussing alternative meet options.

We have reviewed all the information received from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), and The Ohio State University. Based on the information provided to us and considering the safety and well-being of everyone involved in the meet, we are unable to contest the meet this weekend. The Ohio State University on Monday announced a number of restrictions and guidance, including that non-essential events should not take place in person. Governor Mike DeWine, also in a press conference Tuesday afternoon, cited event limitations and/or cancellations for all upcoming high school, college, and professional events in the State of Ohio in the upcoming weeks.  Nationally, numerous athletic events are being cancelled or restricted.

We know that our swimmers have worked hard for several months in anticipation of this Championship meet and the OSI Board shares the disappointment with our athletes. Most of our Board Members are current or former swim parents and deeply understood the magnitude of this decision, which was not taken lightly! We know that many parents and coaches preferred alternatives such as running the meet with limited or no spectators, but those options were simply not possible based on the larger university and health considerations that outweighed our ability to run this meet in any capacity this weekend.

We are not alone in this difficult decision. Championship Swim Meets on the National, Zone and LSC levels in the upcoming weeks are also being cancelled. YMCA Nationals, Speedo Sectionals in Federal Way and other LSC JO meets such as in Southern California and Potomac Valley have also cancelled their meets, with more cancellations being considered.

New information is coming out daily and we will continue to monitor the situation. We hope this is a once in a lifetime decision. We wish everyone the very best, and anticipate being able to share a rescheduled future date soon.

OSI Board of Directors