March 12, 2020
PDST will suspend all training starting March 13th, Friday due to the COVID-19
Dear PDST members,
As you know that PDST is monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and gathering relevant information daily to ensure we can follow the guidance from Public Health for the well-being of our swimmers and team operation.
Below are the latest news want to share with you (simple summary):
1. Due to the announcement by the Washington Governor, Mr. Jay
Inslee banning all gatherings over 250 – the Northwest Age
Group Regional Meet is canceled.
2. All Mercer Island School district schools will close to students beginning Friday, March 13, and this may affect MW pool operation as well.
3. Bellevue School District schools will be closed beginning Friday, March 13. The expectation of the closure may extend through March 27. BAC pool will close following Bellevue school district decision.
4. Starting this Wednesday, March 11, JCC 's group fitness classes will be limited to the number of participants. The pool will be no more than 15 participants at any given time not including the instructor so this will impact PDST training.
5. Hazen High school remains closed until 3/15 and will update the decision soon and the pool also remains closed.
Gathering all the information and consider the new community strategies of WA to minimize COVID-19 exposure to our swimmers and members and practically no swim pool to have practice with above decisions, PDST decided to suspend all training activities including private lessons, diving training, dryland, and tryout beginning Friday, March 13th until March 27th. If there are any changes, with the outbreak improvement and with pool opening, we will announce changes accordingly.
The training tonight will be normal at JCC. The previous requirement is still available that any applications of make-up training with other groups have to be approved by coach Leon directly in advance or swimmers can not attend the practice.
Below are the links for you to check out these resources to stay informed:
- CDC Coronavirus
- CDC COVID-19 FAQ
- King County Public Health - March 4 Recommendations
- King County Public Health
- King County COVID-19 FAQ
- Washington State Public Health
- World Health Organization
- Anti-Stigma Resources
It's a tough time for all of us both on physically preventing the COVID-19 and mental strain under such a circumstance currently. However, I'm so proud and appreciative of you that PDST swimmers showed perfect discipline during the training and parents share information with me constantly.
I and all PDST staff members strongly believe that we can go through this and we will meet each other at the poolside very soon.