March 16, 2020
This morning was our first attempt to combine social distancing with swimming. We had 7 G3 swimmers in 3 lanes and with a space of 4 lanes away we had 7 G4 swimmers in 3 lanes. While I think swimming in a chlorinated pool is a safe activity, I recognize we must all make our own choices as to what is safe for our children.
Bear in mind that we operate at the whim of SIU and the Rec and the guidelines that they have set: no groups of more than 25. The following are my tips for swimmers until the situation returns to normal.
- Show up ready to swim. The pool is chlorinated, the locker rooms are not.
- Do not show up early to hang out. Show up, get in.
- Do not share water bottles. This should be a normal rule but goes double now.
- We are not doing dryland in the rec because we do not want to be touching shared equipment. Parents that workout should wipe down gear before and after they use it.
- Minimize any time in the locker room (if at all). Wear a suit to practice, wear one home if need be but do not hang out in the locker room.
- Once dressed, wait outside.
- Parents should be curbside waiting to pick up swimmers.
If you have any questions email me or text me directly. We will get through this, but things could change at any time.