March 21, 2020
Florida Gold Coast Coaches’ Corner #2
March 21, 2020
Coaches of the Florida Gold Coast:
On Friday, 3/20/2020, the FGC Board of Directors met via video/phone conference to discuss our immediate future as an LSC in these unprecedented times of pool & program suspensions. Below are some of the highlighted points that may pertain to your teams’ situation.
- State of Spring 14 & U Jr. Olympics & Sr. Championships: Both March, 2020 Jr. Olympics & Sr. Championships have been permanently CANCELLED. Being hopefully optimistic that we might be up and running as we approach summer, we all need to re-focus our programs on our next championship competitions. Obviously, this hopeful optimism about summer is not guaranteed.
- FGC vs Florida All Star meet. CANCELLED
- FGC April Swimposium: RESCHEDULED to Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020. All details of this event to be determined and once again this is dependent on the FGC swim community having returned to a state of normalcy. (*We are also moving the annual FGC House of Delegates Meeting to this weekend also)
- Status of meets & their hosts that were pre-scheduled for the months of April & May. These meets may be re-scheduled with approval of either FGC Sanctioning Chairman Allan Golding or the FGC Age Group Chair Liz Kershaw. Please. keep in mind when scheduling make-ups there are other meets in your area that have been pre-scheduled by the required sanctioning rules. Communicate & display professionalism and what is best for your area’s swimmers.
- FGC Covid-19 Relief Grant: The Board of Directors approved the release of limited emergency funds to help those teams who have been financially impacted by the suspension of their programs. A committee has been appointed. The details for applying and the obtaining funds will follow.
The Florida Gold Coast Board of Directors are hoping for the best for your swimmers, programs, families, and acquaintances in these unprecedented times with our eyes on the goal of massive appreciation for those things that we have taken for granted in the past along with our return to a state of normalcy for the sake of our great sport!
Coach Gordon Andrews