Summer State Meets Cancelled
April 25, 2020
It is with deep regret that we wish to inform you that the Wisconsin Swimming Board of Directors made the decision to cancel the 2020 Summer Wisconsin Swimming Meet Series. All Open Water, Regional Championships, 12 & Under State and 13 & Over State meets in their current form, have been canceled.
This decision was made with a focus towards a safe and healthy return to training versus a premature and potentially unsafe return to competition.
We recognize this decision could have been made later, however, there were several reasons this decision was timely.
- Wisconsin Swimming wants to continue playing a positive, proactive role in this nationwide public health crisis.
- Wisconsin Swimming promotes a level playing field among member clubs. There is a strong recognition that training opportunities may not be available at most facilities until at least July 1 given schools are closed or the remainder of the statutory school year. This leads to an uneven playing field in the weeks leading up to the championship meets, and creates potentially unsafe training situations where swimmers are rushed to prepare for championship meets.
- Wisconsin Swimming cares about the health and safety of all members, and because this public health crisis disproportionately impacts adults, it is unlikely we will be able to staff these meets with officials and volunteers necessary, nor do so in a safe way.
The Board’s decision does not cancel the regular season or impose any regulations on training/practice. In fact, the Board is actively preparing a Return to Play and Practice (“RTPP”) that follows the State of Wisconsin “Badger Bounce Back” Phases 1, 2, and 3 guidelines.
Pursuant to USA Swimming’s existing moratorium on meet sanctions, the following provisions of Wisconsin Swimming’s COVID-19 Safety Plan remain in effect until at least June 30, 2020:
- All sanctioned and approved competitions held within Wisconsin Swimming are suspended at the present time. The time period for the suspension will be updated on, or before, June 30, 2020;
- All sanctioned and approved competitions scheduled to take place during period between today and June 30, 2020 will not occur, unless revised guidance is issued;
- No new (including rescheduling meets) sanctions or approvals for competitions in this time period will be granted.
We anxiously await a time in which swimming and life will get back to normal and we’ll be able to train and compete as we did before. We hope that you and yours stay healthy and safe during this time