May 12, 2020
Make Every Month Nutrition Month
By By Chris Rosenbloom, PhD, RDN, CSSN | Tuesday, March 7, 2020
March is National Nutrition Month… But for Swimmers every month should be Nutrition Month.
Here are 17 nutrition tips for swimmers in 2020:
1. Stop making excuses for not eating healthfully to support training and competition.
2. Eat breakfast, every day, no exceptions.
3. Fix healthy snacks and take them to school or the pool.
4. Eat seafood at least twice a week to get healthy omega-3 fats.
5. Be good to your gut; eat yogurt or drink kefir.
6. Don’t ditch dairy; milk and cheese are nutrient-rich.
7. Go meatless a couple of times a week and enjoy plant-based meals.
8. Beans are a great substitute for meat, so try a bean burrito instead of a beef-filled burrito.
9. Expand your palate…try one or two new foods each week.
10. Eat more fresh fruit for the fiber, water, and nutrients.
11. Enjoy anti-oxidant rich foods to protect working muscles (pomegranate or tart cherry juice, green tea, berries, and other colorful fruits and vegetables)
12. Recover with carbohydrate and protein: chocolate milk, peanut butter or a turkey sandwich.
13. Don’t be fat-phobic; use healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, or soft-tub spreads.
14. Refuel with quality carbs to replace muscle glycogen: pasta, rice, potatoes, whole grain breads and cereals.
15. Rethink your drink; steer clear of soft-drinks and replace with nutrient-rich juices or water.
16. Hydrate during practice; just because you are surrounded by water doesn’t mean you don’t need to drink water.
17. See a registered dietitian nutritionist who is also an expert in sports nutrition to customize a meal plan for you.