Doggie Update 5/19/2020

Good Afternoon Bulldogs,

I hope this note finds each of you safe and well.  As our state begins to slowly reopen, we are working behind the scenes on a plan to resume BAC practices in some capacity this summer.

Please know, I will continue to be transparent with sharing the information I have as it becomes available.  Currently, we are exploring opportunities to secure pool space.  This will likely look much differently that it has in previous summers.  Livonia Public Schools will NOT be renting pool space AT ALL this summer.  This eliminates any opportunities we may have to utilize Stevenson and Churchill pools.  In speaking with the NHS Athletic Director, Northville will not be making any decisions about summer facility use until after their MHSAA meeting on June 15th.  We are currently working with both Northville Swim Club and Newburgh Swim Club to explore the possibility of holding practices at one, or both, of these clubs during the morning hours, prior to the clubs opening for their memberships. 

We know and understand each family will hold a different opinion regarding what their family is comfortable with during these unprecedented times.  That’s OK!  Should we be allowed to resume practice in some manner, it is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to ensure we have a safe plan in place ready to execute.  Those details are still being worked through as well. 

The return to practice also needs to be fiscally responsible for the club as well.  The plan of the club for summer swim would be to “break even”.  It is important to consider that dues to practice with BAC this summer will likely be higher than those of a normal session.  This will simply be due to reduced lane space with fixed costs for coaches and pool rentals. 

As we progress with fine tuning the details, please fill out the membership survey at the attached link.  Your voice matters!

Additionally, do we have any parents who may be capable of constructing the lane dividers as shown in the attached article?  In my opinion, these/or something similar will be critical to provide added safety during practice.

I will do my best to keep you update to date as we obtain new information in the next few weeks.  Those who know me and have talked to me the past few weeks, know that I will make decisions very conservatively to protect the health and safety of our swimmers, coaches and families.  Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have either via e-mail or phone.


Amy Brooks on behalf of the Board of Directors